5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook Gmail problem

I have an Outlook 2010 problem that others may be able to solve. The experts in the Lounge may know the answer at once, which would save me time and troubleshooting.

The problem is with Gmail. This now accommodates POP, and I have tried to switch to that, but I think the problem predates that and is still with me. I should explain that I have more computers than one, and for reasons of history, not rationality, the setups are different between them, but different setups share the same problem. To top it off, I have been moving Outlook data to a different drive on several machines, which seems to have either drawn my attention to the mess or to have created it.

Certain computers worked perfectly with Gmail, but at least two of them appear to have reached some sort of limit (in Outlook, not Gmail online), in that they have messages to a certain date and that is the end of the matter. It may be something like the 2 GB limit, but that seems unlikely. More interesting is that I have a Gmail (address) header but it includes no Inbox.

I know a lot of people use Gmail, many with Outlook. Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Hi dogberry,
    I use Gmail in WLM only, I don't have any Office Apps. Go to your Gmail Account directly, double check POP is enabled, set it to archive when accessed by POP. If you don't use IMAP, disable it. I don't know how Gmail is set in Outlook, but if you have it, it should look like this on the Advanced tab.

RR.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I followed the How-To Geek instructions for POP. He also has instructions for IMAP, but I am beginning to suspect that my problem may lay elsewhere (with my having relocated the pst file to a different partition).

Thanks
    As I said earlier, I know nothing about Outlook. Instead of relocating your .PST files, could you back up your files instead.
    Quite a few have difficulty using Outlook & WLM but only because of a lack of know-how in doing it correctly. I never lose any mail using my method.
    Set Advanced tab as above plus this-:

RR.JPG
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    If the problem is a size limit, you can change the limit: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/832925

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There is a MS Article on How to move your personal folders (.psf) file in Outlook if you are interested. It is a straightforward business with no messing about in the registry.

The one complication I have is that I have multiple accounts with corresponding destinations instead of a single destination pst, which is something I'm going to have to review carefully. I have no problem with the regular ISP accounts.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I can report a major development (I think). My gmail account has a header with the little triangle and the word 'Older', which appears to suggest that I am looking at archived mail only, instead of the latest and greatest. I'm looking for a switch or something to move from stuff that on one computer is more than a year old (with nothing more recent) that will allow me to view current mail. Does that make sense?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have another interesting recollection. I changed my password for gmail some time ago, and I have to figure out when and whether or not I made all the right changes in all the right places. Ugh. At least I'm accumulating lots of possible things that can go wrong (and giving others things to think about).