New Lounger
    Thanks

Conversion to Corel Draw

I have just appointed a new commercial printer do so some work for me but he tells me he uses Corel Draw to interface with his equipment. I asked him what formats Corel Draw will accept and while he said he can deal with both .doc and .pdf files I get the feeling that these don't work well with Corel Draw. I use both Word and Adobe. Does anyone know what format I can send my publications and art work in so this printer can easily use Corel Draw?

Thanks.

Bob

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What made you chose him in the first place? I'm guessing it was portfolio samples and/or references. I'm sure the guy isn't going to hose you. He has to make a living off of what you submit. Corel Draw supports a lot of formats, including .doc and .pdf. If you are unsure, submit some small jobs and see how the output looks. I'm sure you'll be pleased.
    Chuck

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been a Corel Draw user since version 3. I am now using ver 15 (X-5). It will open doc and pdf files, lt will also let you publish to pdf. It will open about anything and if it wont open it will let you import the files including bitmap files.. Draw is a very powerful vector program with a lot of bells and whistles that I have yet to use. Arguably it is the best. Morris

New Lounger
    Thanks
    most printers use png files....send him something in that format.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Keep it simple to start with your new print company.

Send pdf files that you saved in Corel Draw (file / publish to pdf).

Results are excellent, never had a problem using Corel Draw X5.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

CorelDraw itself

You might like to download a trial version of the current CorelDraw X6 directly from Corel. I'm not trying to convert you (I have both CorelDraw X6 and Adobe 5.5) but I think you will find it to be far more adaptable than your source seems to have suggested. Once you have a sense of what it can do with your specific data, you will have a better idea of what you can give your printer to work with (and tell him you know it can be done). The free trial gives you enough time to know how the thing operates and what conversions are possible (but your printer might not be at version X6). In fact if you read the specifications on the web site you will see that it can handle just about any format you throw at it.
    Last edited by dogberry; 2012-05-24 at 06:33.