Thanks

Angry Windows extending past bottom of screen

Ok - I'm not sure where to put this, but since the only thing in common is Windows, here it goes - please, as always, bear with me.

I got a new monitor for Christmas - a Viewsonic 23", VP2365wb. I hooked it up, popped the accompanying CD in the drive, and installed drivers. Well, in my hurry I did a 'complete' installation, which included a "suite" that seemed to have limited or no use for me. But that wasn't a problem, I figured, so I left it in place.
    The first problem cropped up when my wife used the computer for the first time - she switched over from my account to hers (Windows XP Pro, SP3) and the mouse refused to do anything. This had never happened before. All we could do was a hard reboot, and the mouse worked fine for her, and when I logged into my account later, it worked for me as well. This didn't seem to be a major disaster, but a hard reboot in order to switch users? Not too handy, especially since every time it happened, I lost all my Firefox (v3.6) tabs and had to rebuild them each time.

I went to the Logitech website and installed the latest version of SetPoint, thinking that might be the problem since I hadn't updated the mouse drivers in quite some time. I also uninstalled the Viewsonic software, since a) that was the only new software change, and b) the installation didn't go completely smoothly; at the end the screen locked up and I had to do the 3-fingered salute to get the window to close. But then I've never had a smooth Viewsonic software installation in the past, so at the time I wasn't surprised. But that seemed to do the trick, and now we have no more mouse problems.

But then I noticed the issue I am having now - in any application or browser I use, with window maximized, the bottom edge of the window extends past (behind) the Windows taskbar. Resizing the window and then re-maximizing doesn't do anything, and the right-margin scrollbar down arrow is obscured by the systray clock.

I've scanned for viruses and spyware, and found nothing amiss; my screen resolution is what Viewsonic recommended (1920 x 1080); and the only software change I've made so far this new year is the "upgrade" from Firefox 3.6 to 9.0 - which means that now I get to enjoy multiple daily crashes in addition to slower graphical builds. I don't know if FF would have any effect such as what I'm experiencing, but I'm sick and tired already of not seeing the bottom of my windows and the sometimes necessary message bars located there. I have to scale down my windows and move them around on the screen in order to get a glimpse of the bottom of the window.

Any ideas?
    Have a cookie -

Don

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Normally the video is controlled by the video card, not the monitor. Have you checked / re-installed the video card drivers?

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Have you attempted to uninstall all that which you have previoulsy installed from the supplied monitor's disk?
    What extras [exactly] did you install?
    Installation and/or uninstallation should be done from a dedicated administative account only.

As Paul says, normally Windows will seek a driver upon plug and play and will usually not need any others unless there is some very specific functionality to be gained above and beyond your GPU's driver needs. Normally all windows needs for basic monitor function is the ini or firmware for the monitor itself.

Thanks
    When your desktop does not fit your monitor, it's simple, that your resolution that you have set, does not match your monitor.
    Old video cards will not have the proper resolution for the new wide screen monitors.
    There may be new drivers available for your video card, but you may also have to replace that card with a new one to get the proper resolution for that new monitor. Nothing's broke....you're simply trying to put a round peg in a square hole, so to speak.

You'd run into the same problem if you tried to use High Resolution on an old CGA monitor. It just won't work!

Good Luck,
    Doc
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    I've uninstalled the software that came with the monitor, and downloaded/installed the latest driver from the Viewsonic website.

I've made sure I installed the latest drivers for my video card (nVidia GeForce GTX 460).

I've made sure I have the resolution set that is recommended by the monitor, automatically, when I first installed it (1920x1080).

Most of the time my windows are just fine - the scroll bar on the right ends where it is supposed to. But there are times, and I haven't been able to detect a pattern, so it's not even always noticeable because I don't know when to expect it - when the bottom scroll arrow dips behind my Windows (XP Pro) taskbar and I can't reachit without switching to a resizable window and moving it about until the bottom edge of the window is visible.

And the one thing I didn't mention before, simply because I thought it was a result of my changing resolutions - my desktop icons, which I try to keep in neat columns to the left of my screen - will often develop gaps - I don't know how else to describe it - horizontal gaps that disrupt the columns. I'm including a screenshot so I don't have to try and fail to describe it. But more than once I've rearranged my icons so they're in neat columns, with no gaps - only to log on the next day and find them somewhat scrambled, always about 3 or 4 rows from the bottom.
    Another detail or two - after I've rearranged my icons, if the icon text is more than one line or two, it will dip behind the Taskbar - this may be the reason some of them are moved from the bottom row of icons, but I don't know as it explains why thee columns of icons are disrupted several rows up from that as well.
    And if I decide to change the Windows Taskbar to Auto-hide mode, when I bring up the Properties menu the bottom few items on that menu also dip behind the Taskbar. I know that is not supposed to happen.

And something that may or may not be related, but I've noticed it over the past several months but never before - when I empty out my Trash bin, my screen seems to reset - it goes blank for a split second as if it's refreshing. As I said, this has only been noticeable for less than a year (not sure exactly how long) - and Windows has been installed for considerably longer than that.

For reference:
    AV program: Avast!
    Malware: Malwarebytes full version
    Spybot S&D (no teatimers)
    Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper (occasionally)

Regarding the screenshot - I have not moved any of the icons myself - the last time I moved icons was to arrange them so that there were 4 full columns starting at the left edge, and the 5th column only had a few icons at the top. the bottom row (where there is certainly enough room for anoher row of icons) was moved elsewhere, and the row with VLC Player was a full row - the middle 3 icons were also moved elsewhere. the two gaps near the top were also occupied, but I remember that I had either moved or deleted icons from there recently, although I did fill the gaps with other icons - is it possible the desktop is "remembering" previous layouts and reverting to them, at least in part?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by djmoore; 2012-01-23 at 08:53.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    It seems odd: the task bar is visible on the bottom on the screen, but when maximized, the windows will be cut off behind it.

That's not a screen resolution problem, otherwise the task bar would not be visible - it would be missing off the bottom too.

Your screen grab shows a Windows Classic desktop. Does the issue present itself if you switch to the standard Windows XP Theme (Right click on the desktop, select Properties and then the XP theme).

Thanks
    Well, this problem is still happening - intermittently. As far as I can tell, everything looks fine when I first turn on the computer in the morning, but toward the end of the day, when the computer's been on for some time, all of a sudden I notice that it's happened again. I've never seen it actually 'happen' - so I don't know if it is a gradual thing, or if there's a specific trigger event of some kind - but at night I can look at the bottom of the screen and my windows have sunk below the top edge of the Taskbar.
    I can expose the bottom edge of my windows if I Auto-hide the Taskbar, but I'm never comfortable with the Taskbar missing (I've been using it for far too many years as-is) and when I open up the Taskbar properties window, the button to OK the change also shows up almost completely behind the Taskbar, so it's a challenge to even click OK without missing the narrow strip of the button that is still showing.
    I've done all Windows updates (again, Windows XP Pro SP3) consistently, and have been regularly installing the latest drivers for my video card.

God willing and the river don't rise, I will be able to (finally!) migrate to Windows 7 within the next month or two and I hope this will become a non-issue. I hate not getting to the bottom of a problem, but I hate nebulous problems such as this a lot more!

As far as Tinto's suggestion about the XP theme goes, I've been using this same configuration since I first installed Windows XP - I'm an old-schooler and much prefer the neatness of the Classic theme - and it's been working fine for the past year or so until this started around the end of 2011 - but I'll give the XP theme a try tonight, or as soon as I notice it happening again - to see if it might help. As far as I'm aware, the Classic theme will not be available with Windows 7, so I guess I'll have to get used to the new look soon anyway.
    Last edited by djmoore; 2012-03-07 at 08:41.
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    FYI, there is a Windows Classic theme in Windows 7. Haven't tried it so I don't know how close it matches the one in XP.

Jerry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jwitalka For This Useful Post:

djmoore (2012-03-07)

Thanks
    That's excellent news, Jerry - thanks for that!

Now if I could only find a high-resolution of the chessboard wallpaper I pulled off of a Windows 3.0 floppy disk years ago, I'd be all set!
    Have a cookie -

Don

Thanks
    A google search finds several chessboard wallpapers. Here's one:
    http://www.free-desktop-backgrounds....ess-board.html

If you you want to use the wallpaper you currently have, Windows Easy Transfer will install it on Windows 7 for you.

Jerry

Thanks
    I was thinking specifically of this little trip down memory lane:

The original bitmap file was less than 20kb in size; I still have (somewhere) the Windows 3.0 3.5" floppies (3.1 disks, too).
    I'd love to have this pic in a hi-res version, just for the sake of having it in a tolerable resolution.
    Have a cookie -

Don

New Lounger
    Thanks
    @ djmoore,
    I can expose the bottom edge of my windows if I Auto-hide the Taskbar, but I'm never comfortable with the Taskbar missing (I've been using it for far too many years as-is) and when I open up the Taskbar properties window, the button to OK the change also shows up almost completely behind the Taskbar, so it's a challenge to even click OK without missing the narrow strip of the button that is still showing.
    Well ,you're never too old to change or learn a new method
    As to the Taskbar Property pane, why not just move it up a little, so OK shows?
    It's not like you have to do this 10 x/hr

As to the folder views, have you tried increasing the number of folders that Windows remembers?
    Default is only 400 - the tweak below increases it to 8000
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    2.Increase Folder View size

Icons. After you drag icons to how you want ,apply this tweak
    same URL 188. r-hand side Add Save & Restore Desktop Layout to Menu

Also ,after resizing a window ,close it via Close button while pressing Ctrl or Alt or Shift.
    That should preserve its size and position.

Screen goes blank when emptying Recycle bin.
    Not enough memory for everything you have running ,whether visible or in the background.
    Check Taskmanager for heavy users ,both CPU and memory.

XP ,being so mature ,has thousands of tweaks available on the internet.
    Don't forget about TweakUI for XP.