2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win XPsp3 Explorer is slow

I have a Windows XP Pro sp3 system that was working just fine till I uninstalled a few applications (including an old copy of Viso 2003) through Add/Remove Programs and then tried to install Visio 2010. The install failed with an "Error 1406 " and I needed to reboot to recover but after that when I open Windows Explorer (the file browser) I get the two panes where the tree only shows the desktop and the right pane has the flashlight swinging back and forth. If I leave it up for several minutes it will eventually come up but if I click around in the tree it takes forever to load. If I paste a path into the address bar it comes right up on the right pane and seems to work.

I've also got an MP3 player that mounts without a drive letter. When I select that in the tree the right side never does load.
    I've seen several solutions most of which weren't applicable. One had me boot with no USB stuff plugged in. No luck there.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Thanks,
    Thanks,

C DeWitt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Do you have a restore point to a time after the uninstalls and before you attempted to install Visio 2010?

Joe

Thanks
    Registry cleaning/pruning after a large, potentially complex software uninstallation, may be needed to repair some/many of the issues that can follow with the reinstallation of a higher or differing version of the same app. Close attention should be made to the generated entries if this is to be done.