Thread: IRS email virus

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IRS email virus

I received an email from the IRS yesterday that said I was due a small refund and that I should open the attached file to print the required form. I saved the attached zip file and scanned it with Microsoft Security Essentials and it didn't find any problem so I extracted the enclosed .exe file and scanned it. It didn't find any problem there either. Then I did a very stupid thing! I double-clicked the exe file in windows explorer and it simply vanished from the display! I immediately pulled the plug on the internet connection and did a full scan using MSE and it did not find any problem. Then I scanned with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it did not find a virus. It did say that my version was 85 days out of date but I didn't update it yet because the internet connection is still disconnected.

So, what does anyone suggest I do at this point? Obviously that email was a scam or virus of some kind.

Thanks, Bill

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BillWilson View Post

So, what does anyone suggest I do at this point? Obviously that email was a scam or virus of some kind.
    Bill,
    Hello...As a first step you can do a few things..

1. If you can get a copy of this program ("new version 1.60" with updates) Malwarebytes Free Download it to a flash drive etc. (Friends PC etc.) Boot into "safe mode" and run the program from there.

2. Or try the same..... by booting up and try to download directly the "New Version" & "Updates" and run the program...If no other option is available.

3. Another "free" one that is very good is EmsisoftEmergencyKit..

Good first start.... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-08 at 14:27.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic426422.html

Some good advice in the above link, although your probably looking at a potential worst case scenario in the above link.

Thanks
    In my post in another forum I found that MSE definitions prior to today, Jan 9, will not find it but todays definitions will find it..
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    For anyone in the USA, the IRS will not contact you via email offering you a refund. They use the USPS. If you receive anything from the IRS offering a refund I recommend you contact them using a phone number you look up. Do NOT rely on any numbers or contact information in any correspondence.

Be very suspicious of any organization that contacts you via email with offers of money available to you.

Joe

Thanks
    Yes Joe, but as much as this is pounded into peoples heads there are still people that will open these things...
    They are genetically coded to click on anything and everything they see...

Believe me, I know someone like that who just can't resist clicking on everything she sees and every few months she has to take her PC in to get cleaned out.

And, if you wait for the USPS, you may never get any notice!
    They are the worst.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Regardless of the timing of USPS deliveries, my point was that neither the IRS not any other reputable company sends out unsolicited emails offering the recipient money if they open an attachment.

I understand that many users will open anything and everything but repetition may help a few in the future.

Joe

Thanks
    Doesn't anyone stop to wonder where the IRS (if it was real) got their email address?? There is no where on your tax return for it!

It is probably time for me to nag my kids about this again, if it is making the rounds!

Barbara