Thread: Iced Win 7

Lounger
    Thanks

Iced Win 7

Yesterday (01/07/12) my friends Lenovo Laptop froze. She's running Win7 home premium. Holding the power button down for forced restart didn't work. Had to remove battery. After replacing battery and restarting, the system had reset back to factory default. Everything gone! System restore has no save points to restore back to. Is there a way to undo the restore to factory default and recover her stuff?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stringdoctor View Post
    Everything gone!
    "SD",
    Hello.... Open "Administrative Tools">Computer Management>Disk Management.... What does it show for "Disk 0" Is it just one partition or more? Post "Screen Shot" if you can.. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    I have never heard of something like this happening. It would probably depend on what caused this on whether it could be undone so to speak. This is a classic case where Imaging would have been a vital link to restore the system back to where it was before the problem struck in about 10 minutes. Of course this is kind of like locking the barn door after the horse has escaped.

Can she try to search for and find any of her data? If she can find her data, apps and customizations can be redone from scratch. It's the data that is hard to come by. has she backed up the data? If she can ultimately redo everything, enccourage her to create Images and store them off PC (on an Ext. HD for example)

Sorry, without a lot more info it's very hard to say what might have caused this restoration to factory defaults. I reading some of the Lenovo forums they mention something about a Blue button on some of the laptops. Could she have inadvertantly pushed this button? Just guessing here because this is a new one on me.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks

Everything gone - reply

Fred, I have not yet been able to even get on the computer yet, it is at my friends house. What I posted is only what she told me. I will however get to it this week at some point and I will do as you suggested. If possible I will post a screen shot.

Ted, She only uses her system for e-mail and Skype for the most part. What she says she lost was everything from her admin password to internet and Skype along with any docs and pics. I will be able to restore the internet and Skype so she will have those features but as for the rest I told her it may all be gone. "Blue Button" is a mystery to me as well, but I will look into that too.

Thanks guys for the input, please keep an eye out for my next post/update on this matter. There may still be a chance that something can be done.
    Ray

Thanks
    It is quite possible that the wrong button was also pressed during [your/her]? ordeal.

That is the only thing I can think of that would potentially cause/effect a factory format to occur.

I have a similar Lenovo based laptop with a factory restore button, but I have long ago wiped the entire drive in favor of a guenuine operating system disk installation. So the button in question on my setup is of no further use.

It is highly unlikely that you will be able to restore much of anything of significance let alone the the exact state it was in prior to the issue.
    [As far as recovering overwritten data on the current drive]
    You could help her look into an imaging based solution for her setup so that data is not lost in the future.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-01-08 at 20:24.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If computer is not bootable, a last option to recoup data is to take out the hard drive and hook it up via USB to another computer. We ofter do this at our computer club. You will need the appropriate adapter for the USB connection - IDE vs SATA.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Was unable to get a screen shot. It shows only 1 partition, healthy. I was able to get all of her programs back, ie. wireless internet, Skype, aol, explorer 9, antivirus and a couple of maleware/spyware scans that I use. She lost all docs and photo's. I also recommended she backup her system this time. thanks all for your input