Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    George - I'm guessing for dg1261 the green plastic casing which directs the fan output gave it away that it was a Dell tower (plus the words Dell on the power supply) :-)

You asked which text file - the answer was any text file you create. You're just trying to ensure that a file you created after the backup/image does not exist after the restore.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to edaltman For This Useful Post:

georgelee (2012-01-19)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    George,
    1. Purchase a duplicate HD (same size and brand ) as the one you have now....Format it exactly as your main one is now (partition wise etc.)
    Regards Fred
    It is MUCH easier than that.
    There should be no need pre-format the new drive.

Simply create :-
    A Boot Rescue CD ; and
    an image of your system.

Then power down and install any old suitable HD (could be duplicate but could be different)
    Pop in the Rescue CD and restore the system image to the new HD.

My Laptop had a 30 GB HDD, and the Rescue CD put the image on a new blank 160 GB HDD which immediately booted.
    Had it failed the old 30 GB would have gone back in and I could then assess alternatives.
    No operating system could have been harmed.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alan.b View Post
    It is MUCH easier than that.
    There should be no need pre-format the new drive.
    alan,
    Hello.. not knowing how George's HD is set up..... as i said "Partition wise"... It would be easier to make it the same..Before recovering the image to it not after...Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up Clonezilla works for me

I got an external HD about a year ago and have been quite happy with Clonezilla. It is probably not the easiest to learn, but it does what I need it to.

New Lounger
    Thanks

An Old School way...

Here's something that's worked so often for me that it's the first thing I think of: I have both a floppy disk and a CD setup to be bootable into Win98 and then there's a copy of the old Symantec Ghost program, which will image and burn to/from any device recognized by your bios. You can also resize the partition up if you are writing an image to a much larger new drive. It uses a mouse and is easier than easy. I don't know if it's available anymore but you might find it on Tucows or try googling it. It doesn't get much simpler than this.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks as though I won’t be getting an extra hard drive after all. Perusing the Dell site there were two sizes available, 2.5” and 3.5”. Not wishing to take out the existing drive to check the size and then replace it until I have obtained a new drive, I rang Dell and asked which was the correct size for a Dell Dimension 2400, but was told they did not have that information. Unbelievable! Clearly they are only interested in selling new systems.

Then when I remarked that I could not find any IDE drives on the site, the reply was they only have SATA and SS nowadays. I know from recent experience when trying to buy a new DVD writer that IDE seems to be a thing of the past.

If Dell do not stock IDE any more, I would be unlikely to find it elsewhere – after all, it’s not as though they made them themselves. Plus my only previous PC was stolen, so I do not have an old drive to use.

Furthermore, the price of internal drives seems quite steep, being higher than the cost of my new 2TB external model – especially when it will be used very rarely. So I shall make an image and try to install it, if that fails it will be back to a clean install – rather a bind, but at least the PC is running well at present, so it should not be like the two previous occasions when I had to remove serious problems.

One question. When installing an image does first one erase the old drive completely, including the master boot thing, or just load it on top?

Hopefully I’ve not tested everyone’s patience too much with this topic.

George

Thanks
    George,

Google "IDE HARD DRIVES" you'll find all the major sellers have them. As for size the Dimension 2400's have 2-5.25" and 1-3.5" drives bays. You can use smaller drives with adapter kits. Here's a link to the Specs for the 2400's.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks RG.
    I found a seller with stock, and a phone number so that I could check it is suitable. Should arrive next week.

Lounger
    Thanks

Be sure you can boot

In my experience the first test for any imaging program is whether you can boot from a CD-DVD or other device. My experience with Acronis has been that when I boot from the DVD drive, my mouse is frozen on the screen that comes up. If the mouse is frozen on the tab that starts Acronis, then the program can proceed. If it is not, and that has happened, then Acronis simply reboots Windows. Of course if Windows is bootable, I would not be trying to boot from a disk, would I? Some versions of Acronis work and some do not, and I cannot tell in advance. The moral is take advantage of a free trial if there is one, and that applies to many other programs as well.

Thanks
    Do you have a USB mouse? If so perhaps you have to go into your Bios and enable legacy support. This will allow your USB ports to be enabled during the early boot sequence. Hopefully this will allow you to use your mouse during this Acronis boot. I use Acronis and have never seen this problem. I have a wireless mouse that has a mini USB adapter (receiver) that I have to plug in to use my mouse. Works great with Acronis.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by elikam View Post
    Some versions of Acronis work and some do not, and I cannot tell in advance. The moral is take advantage of a free trial if there is one, and that applies to many other programs as well.
    elikam,
    Hello... sound advice ...with one caveat.. Acronis free trial, will install It , and everywhere ... One thing that i have found out about Acronis ... You can never remove it ! I don't care what removal tool you use ..(theirs or a 3rd party) forget it. Over the years i have used TI 10, 11, 2009, 2010.. if something goes wrong ...even with their removal tool ..hidden pieces are always be there to remain to vex you forever.. The only way to remove it, is to go back to a time before you installed Acronis..." Kind of a catch 22" . I would suggest using Windows Backup, Macrium Reflect , or EASEUS Todo backup, making a Full OS image before trying Acronis True Image Home ..any version. ..Don't get me wrong ...I use Acronis 2010 V-7046 along with Macrium Reflect... But ...If something with Acronis goes wrong or doesn't work ... the only fix ( even trying their repair) is to go back in time before it was installed ... My2¢... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Just Plain Fred gave us a detailed recipe for testing whatever imaging sw we chose, but it seems to preclude using an external HD as the storage for the image. Isn't that how most people save their backup image?
    Paulbyr in NC

mart44
    The disk imaging function included in Windows 7 is little spoken of and even less used but I would always recommend it. I frequently try out software (including disk imaging software) and then use a Windows 7 created system image to return the computer to its original state. An image made prior to the computer being extensively used by family and friends is used to return the computer to it's 'pre-visitor' state as a safety precaution. In short, I use an image made by Windows 7 very frequently. A straight full-system imaging function that has always worked for me.

Edit: Sorry georgelee - I hadn't noticed, 'it must work with XP' before writing the above .
    Last edited by mart44; 2012-02-26 at 02:09.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post

Just an F.Y.I.: operating hard drives vertically stresses the drive bearing and increases the probability of premature drive failure.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudsandskye View Post

Just an F.Y.I.: operating hard drives vertically stresses the drive bearing and increases the probability of premature drive failure.
    cloudsandskye,
    Hello... Thanks for the tip... Kinda thought about that , but figured that my HP came originally with "Vertically" mounted HD's ...so i thought no problem.. Going to remedy this soon ( think that you are correct) ...As my modified case is way too small for what i have stuffed into it...Just received my new Corsair 650D ... will be "updating" as soon as i can find the time... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-03-26 at 08:06.
    PlainFred

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast