New Lounger
    Thanks

Make changes to default profile

Hi there.

I'm running server 2008 in virtualization, and for spinning up new servers, as and when needed, I would like the system to already have desktop items setup and so forth.

What I'd like to do is create a template server, with drivers and software installed, and then run sysprep oobe. However when I do the sysprep, and copy the drive, the startup system creates a new blank administrator profile, after entering the new server's password into place. Is there any way I can change the default profile so the notes, shortcuts etc are on it?

I've read lots of stuff about automated install kit and windows images - I don't want to use windows images, however - I want to be able to shutdown, copy the disk and launch that.

Anyone got any idiot proof ideas?

Thanks!

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Items on the Desktop are just files in a folder. Paste them into the "All users" Desktop and they will always be there for everyone.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

I didn't think of this option, thinking that sysprep makes it delete all the profiles. I tested it, however - and somewhat to my surprise, it works like a charm. I'm not able to set the desktop background or anything like that, but leaving files on the desktop for the new system to be able to use from the get-go works perfectly.

Thanks!