Lounger
    Thanks

Wireless speed half that of wired at home

I have a Netgear NR3000 wireless router connected to my cable modem. The desktop PC is wired to the router and Speedtest.net registers speeds of about 35 Mbps down and 6 Mbps up. When I use the Speedtest app on my iPhone I get a no more than 16 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up. Granted these are terrific speeds, but I wonder why the router won't pass the whole enchilada?

As I was typing this, it struck me that it might be an iPhone limitation. I will check on my laptop and see what I get.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,145 Times in 1,054 Posts
    It may not be just the router. Wired will be faster than wireless, even for nominally higher bandwidths. A wireless network maximum bandwidth represents a theoretical maximum, which will only be achieved under optimal conditions, which can be hard to occur.

Here is a link that addresses some of the causes for this: http://www.cites.illinois.edu/wireless/speed.html

Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked the speed on my laptop and it's not the iPhone. In fact, last night after rebooting and checking everything, I managed to get 28 Mbps on my iPhone. The other issue I have is that the wireless speed drops to under 1 Mbps almost every day until I reboot the thing. I wonder if Comcast does an IP lease renewal or something that causes the router to reconnect without powering off and locks onto a minimal speed. Anyone have this happen? I also filed a support ticket with Netgear.

BTW thanks for the article. I did some poking around my laptop last night and found some network utilties. It showed my wireless link at 144 Mbps which is very much in line with the 300/2 value I expect from the N router. I'm still not sure why I never get more than 16 Mbps from a 35 Mbps incoming line, but 16 is pretty good regardless.
    Last edited by dmspen; 2012-01-10 at 09:28.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You first need to determine the origin of the problem. Do you have another device that can use the wireless network and connect it when you get the 1 Mbps rate, to see what speed it gets at that time?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I was able to verify less than 1 meg with both a laptop and iphone. I opened a ticket with Netgear but that was/is nearly useless. Their first response was to tell me about over the air loss, etc which does not explain a drop from 35meg to less than 1. After I got home from work, my wireless speed was about 7 m. A quick power cycle brought it up to 23m. Something is happening during the day to cause the router to lose speed.
    Last edited by dmspen; 2012-01-12 at 15:24.

Administrator
    Thanks
    So your problem is the router. What wireless mode are you using? N? G?

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using N

Administrator
    Thanks
    Try using G and see if the same happens. My experiences with N haven't been that positive.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Examine what else is going on in your house when you have the speed drops. Is someone using a cordless phone, a microwave, a hairdryer? One of the weirdest network issues I ever experienced was about 20ish years ago, our network was Ethernet over unshielded Coax cable. Every Thursday around 2pm the network would just crash. We were pulling our hair out until I happened to mention it to someone who worked for the Air National Guard at the airport less than a mile from our office. He said that was when they tested a certain type of either radio or radar (can't remember) every week!

I'd agree with ruirib too, try using G. Even though it's theoretical max is 54 gbps, that's still almost double what your internet connection is which is the limiter.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Angry

Check you are quoting the correct rate format - bits as Kbs-Mbs-Gbs for internet connections, and Bytes as MBs-GBs for HD/RAM connections.

"PC is wired to the router and Speedtest registers speeds of about 35 Mbps down"
    "It showed my wireless link at 144 Mbps"

How can your wireless connection be 4.1x faster than your wired connection? Usually the opposite is true

And I would second trying wireless 'G' mode, maybe the smartphone isn't quite that smart!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't know why there is an extra 'angry' at the top, and it won't let me edit it out.
    Grrrrr indeed!

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    "try using G. Even though it's theoretical max is 54 gbps"

WOW! I wish it was!

Quoted from http://compnetworking.about.com/cs/w...11standard.htm

"802.11g supports bandwidth up to 54 Mbps"

"When this standard is finalized, 802.11n connections should support data rates of over 100 Mbps"

Hope this clarifies it!

Thanks
    MB's -- Mb's, their use is not exclusive to routers, hard drives, etc...
    manufacturers and isp's commonly use megabits (little "b") when quoting their speeds because it is a bigger number (exactly 8 times bigger) than the same speed quoted in megabytes. (big "B")
    my n1 router list max "throughput" speed as 300 megabits, which is 37.5 megabytes, neither of which i've ever gotten better than 2/3 of on a good day. surely he meant "g" was 54 mega not giga, surely.
    REMEMBER--- "if you don't play well with others, you could end up playing with yourself."

Thanks

Cool

Let it be known, that there are two different and quite different "N" speeds for Wireless routers.

There is N-150 and N-300. An N-300 router will usually connect to another "type N-300" WiFi device within range at about 280, or less.

Most Laptop PC's, Today, that do come with type "N" wireless, built in (most are type G) come with the N-150 WiFi
    modem installed. Some of those internal WiFi modems, can be replaced with type "N-300" internal or external WiFi devices.

Here's my own, Acer Aspire ONE, Netbook, with an external, USB, WiFi N-300 device, with a 9db Gain antenna.
    This setup GREATLY increases my WiFi range. It's backward compatible all the way down to Wireless B.

The little USB device I'm showing here, can be had over the internet for around $14 to $19 for the WiFi device. It comes with a 3db gain antenna. The 9db Gain antenna, shown here, was another $12.
    It was all, very much worth the money.

So if you're setting up a new Wireless network at home, get the Wireless N-300 router and Wireless N-300 connection for your portable PC or desktop PC.

That's pretty immaterial for anything but internal networking and file transfer, because it's ten to thirty times faster than most peoples ISP speed. So your PC is always sitting there twiddling its thumbs, waiting for the next data packet to come along. Why do I really need a router to PC speed of 300, when my isp connection (download) speed is maxed out at 5mbps.
    *I can only use that high speed, when exchanging files between computers here on my own WiFi network.

There are very few programs on the market, that can properly optimize your computers internet connection settings to your ISP. I have AVG Tune-Up which does include that app, and it works beautifully. I download so much stuff, that I want to get every bit per second that I can get.

Also, on downloading files, I tried to download a file here one day, using just my browser. The speed was like 65 or something. Abysmal! Then I fired up "Internet Download Manager" (IDM) and the speed was at least ten times faster.
    I won't download ANYTHING anymore without IDM running. I'm too old to waste what little time I have left, downloading files.

Y'all have a great day now, Y'hear?
    The Doctor
    Last edited by DrWho; 2012-01-22 at 11:09.
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!