Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,456 Times in 1,325 Posts

Two versions of Access: problematic!

Hi All,

I currently have both Office 2003 Pro and Office 2010 Pro installed on my main desktop machine.
    Of course only Outlook 2010 is installed as you can have only one version of Outlook installed.
    Here are the problems I have beeh having.
    1. Every time you switch between versions you go through this installation/configuration process {happens w/Word also but NOT Excel go figure!}.
    2. Any Database with references set to Outlook will error out upon starting if you start it on the wrong version, e.g. if I work on a DB on another machine with only 2003 installed then bring it to my desktop and start 2010 it errors out because of the missing reference.
    3. When switching back to 2003 from 2010 Access retains the reference to the Access Ver. 14 library and will not let you switch it back. See graphic.

I don't know if there is a way around all this other than working on DB that have to be used on 2003 on my second desktop that has only 2003 on it.

Update: Please note if I work on the DB in 2003 on another machine then transfer it to the machine with 2010 as long as BOTH 2010 Word & Access are the current programs, e.g. last versions run, things work just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-01-09 at 20:23.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can't you just use Save as 2003 from 2010 and get rid of 2003 from that PC?

Save databases as MDB files

Bruce

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I usually just do all the work with 2010 (using mdb files in 2000 format) then fix the References when I install on a machine with an older version. I have to be careful not to use things that depend on having the newer version.
    I do have 2007 installed but rarely use it. So I can set Refences to the 2007 version if I want, then they stick.
    Outlook Refence needs to be to 2010, and this does not cause me problems if I open in 2007.
    Regards
    John

Thanks
    John & Bruce,

Thanks for the input.

I do save the DB as .mdb as it will always be installed on a 2003 Pro system. I did forget to mention that when delivered the DB is locked down as far as I can get it. The VBA Project is PWed and unviewable, DB Window hidden, Menu hidden, Toolbars locked, even the startup bypass key is disabled along with the big red X on the Switchboard. Why you ask? Too many ID10T errors by the users. It is also important to realize that I support this DB while traveling in our RV by emailing a replacement front end which makes it hard to change references at install. I know I could use TeamViewer or similar program but in the RV I very seldom have a connection with enough speed to make that practical. Also this is a volunteer effort for our home owners association.

I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll have to dual boot my laptop so I can have both office versions installed w/o conflict.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RetiredGeek,

The issue you are having with the Office App references is due to using Early binding or setting the reference in the VBE. Access will usually do a automatic upgrade of the Object References. But it will not automatically downgrade References due to possible backward compatibility issues. . The good news is there is a solution. Use Late Binding. I have clients that run my apps with a mix of office Apps without any issues using Late Binding. This also make is critical to have a split database with the front end not shared to avoid reference issues.

See: Late Binding in Microsoft Access

FWIW: As part of your lock down process is there some reason you are not making a MDE? This would avoid the need for the VBA Project password since all source is removes and design mode is disabled. It will protect your app a lot more than a VBA password. The VBA Project password can easily be retrieved and removed.
    Boyd Trimmell aka HiTechCoach (Access Information here)
    Microsoft MVP - Access Expert
    "If technology doesn't work for people, then it doesn't work."

Thanks
    HTC,

Thanks for the input. I do have the database split FE/BE. I've never used the .MDE option I'll explore it and see how it works. Thanks for the link about late binding. I knew about it but didn't think of it as a possible solution, thanks again for jogging my memory.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You're welcome.

Good luck with your project.

Thanks
    Hello Again,

Update: I tried to create a .mde file on two different machines and get the same message: "Microsoft Office Access was unable to create an MDE database."

The help associated talks about large DB with many objects, I counted 115 in mine, and that it has to create TableId for them and can only have 2048 open at a time. Well, there should be nowhere near that many in my DB. Any suggestions?

FYI: I did a decompile and compact and tried again...same result!

Update: Fixed! I did some googling and found out that a compile error could cause the problem. Found error in code that used to work! Checked code but not in error! Turns out that the References have to be in a certian order for the code to compile {which I had noted at the top of the Module but forgot about}. I think they got out of order when I was switching Office versions and trying to fix them when I switched back. Once the references were reordered everything is copesetic and I can now create a .MDE file. Moral of the story don't only write documentation READ IT!
    Last edited by RetiredGeek; 2012-01-11 at 14:16.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    The most common cause for a database to not compile into a mde or accde is due oi code issues. This includes reference issues.

If you can make an MDE/ACCDE then you know your database does not have any VBA code syntax issues. There still could be bugs in your logic, but you staill are better of then if you don't compile to check for errors.

Thanks
    HTC & All,

Well, I got through the conversion to using Late Binding along with using the Compiler Directives so that I can do it either way Early or Late {Early for development, Late for Production}. This works great! I can switch between Office 2010 & 2003 w/o a problem when using Late Binding.
    The article HTC pointed me to was just concise and easy to understand.
    It did leave out one thing you need to be aware of though. The Compiler Constants {#Const} have a Module Level Scope. So if you have bindings in more than one module you need to set up a #Const at the top of each and remember to change them all when switching between Early & Late binding.

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Hi Again All,

As a follow up I found out you can create a Global Scoped compiler constant if you set it in the VBA Project Properties under the Tools menu in the VBE. If you do this however I highly recommend you leave comments in your modules to that effect, e.g.:
    Code:
    Option Compare Database
    Option Explicit

'Set Compiler Constant for Early/Late Binding conditional code
    ' 0 = Early Binding
    ' 1 = Late Binding

'Set in Tools->ARB Properties... Global Scope if set here Module Scope
    '#Const LateBinding = 1
    Note: You do not use the # when setting the constant in the Project Properties dialog.

Here's a MSDN Article on Conditional Compilation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Thanks for posting that info. Most people have never even heard of or use Compiler Constants. They work great for developers for switching between Early and Late binding, debugging code, etc.

Thanks
    Getting back to the issue of the Access 14 reference, with two versions of Access installed, you can prevent this problem if you use virtualization. I use VMWare Workstation, which, while not free, is a very good product. Microsoft offers a free alternative (Virtual PC). There are some other free virtualization software products available as well. One requirement: you need to have a separate license for any software that you install in a guest machine, including the operating system. But, setting up virtualization allows you to essentially have one or more computers within your main (host) computer. I have guest machines available with Windows 98, 2 with Windows XP (one for A2003 and one for A2007), Windows 7 RTM, etc. It really is slick.

You will want plenty of hard drive space and RAM memory to effectively run a host machine with a guest machine.
    Tom Wickerath
    Microsoft Access MVP
    4/1/2006 - 3/31/2012

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Windows 7 Professional (and above) provides XP mode for free with Virtual PC.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/

You would still need a licence for the Office version you install.
    Regards
    John

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I myself know very little about MS Access, but I'll pass along a comment from an expert Access user. A lady in my church does Access programming for a living, and wrote the Access programs we use for our church management databases. We recently moved up from Office 2003 to 2010. She said Access databases written for 2003 will not run under 2010 and must be extensively rewritten to do so. Her directive to me, as the one doing the upgrades, (new computers, etc.) was do not install Access 2010 but rather continue to run Access 2003. Later, when she has time, she will rewrite the databases to run under 2010 and THEN we can continue the upgrade to Access 2010.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast