Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2010 and POP3

Is it possible to force Outlook to use POP3 to connect to gmail and a secureserver.net account? I've tried all of the permutations that I can think of to no avail. Am I doing it all wrong or banging my head against a brick wall?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    fjbr,

Yes it is possible as I have 3 GMail accounts using POP3 with Outlook 2010. You do have to go into GMail settings on the Web and enable POP3. Sorry but I don't know about secureserver.net.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

fjbr (2012-01-10)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    As long as you servers support POP or IMAP, Outlook will be able to retrieve messages from them. I think secureserver is GoDaddy, right? Should support POP without any issues.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

fjbr (2012-01-10)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you both. I will try the setting change in gmail. The secureserver (yes it is GoDaddy) works fine for me using POP3 for another account using 2003 Outlook but when I tried to set up 2010 it defaulted to IMAP and I couldn't see a way to get it to choose POP3.
    It doesn't help a bit that the computers in question are in Utah so I'm always trying to work on a remote connection.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    I always setup my Outlook accounts manually, so I put in all the details and it just works. Let us know if you need detailed help.

As to the remote connection, not sure what you use for that, but I can't recommend TeamViewer enough and it's free for non commercial use.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    If you allow Outlook 2010 to configure an account automatically Outlook configures IMAP whenever possible. If you know you want to use POP3 you must configure the account manually.

Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Teamviewer is great. The only minor problem with it is ensuring that all of my clients are on version 5. I paid for that one (worth the $800CDN or so) but if a client gets on to Version 6 or 7 I can't communicate with them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How-To Geek has articles for both POP and IMAP. I made a real hash of it by not following the instructions through to the end, I think (I'm working on it now); in other words, when using POP, use all of the settings appropriate for your ISP. I think. Yes, it is extremely frustrating to get it wrong.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I set it up successfully using IMAP by following a guide from Gmail itself: 'To set up your Outlook 2007 client to work with Gmail'.

I had a major security scare early in the game, however, when I clicked on an arrow 'About [Proper Name]' to see what it said about me. It now appears that it was a false alarm, but it was a big one. How secure is this thing anyway (apart from cases in which you may have a poor password).