3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Controlling Vista 64 bit from a tablet (Which tablet to look for?)

OK - I am digging for some answers that might not be possible, but lets' see...

I have a Vista Ultimate 64 bit PC which I use as a media centre for photos and music played through my big screen TV. I currently use a USB keyboard and wireless mouse to operate it, but that means that I have to sit in the corner when operating it! The result is that I don't get to see the images properly from the side view that I have.

I know there are some wireless remote / keyboards available...
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/FAVI-Enterta...5612266&sr=8-1
    or
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

(Hope the links will work).

I was also looking at getting a tablet to use for other bits, and have been looking at the options of Android (ASUS Eee Pad Transformer) vs iPad. This could be another option for controlling the media centre. Are there any applications that will allow you to control a PC from a tablet, whilst the PC gives the output? (In other words turn the tablet into a keyboard / mouse combination).

Has anyone got some experience with doing this? It would be much appreciated!

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If you are using WiFi on the tablet and are on the same network, you could use one of many VNC apps, with the server sitting on the PC and the client on the tablet. This allows control of the PC and viewing on the big screen.

If you do not have a WiFi enabled tablet, then you could use one of the internet routed remote desktop apps to do the same thing. You might look at Logmein, Teamviewer or Splashtop, each of which have tablet apps to access PC's workstations and the like. You might need to configure the PC settings in the app to ensure you retain best quality viewing on the big screen, but it should be no big deal.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - VNC does work on a tablet then - Android and iPad? (Since I don't know either OS, I can't tell).

I know that Remote Desktop results in the video output from the server PC being "logged out" and the video transferred to the RDP Client (which would not do in this scenario).

I do have Wifi in the house, so a tablet would work in the way you suggest.

Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I use Mocha VNC for access when inside a network; iRdesktop for RDP access; and Logmein, Teamviewer & Splashtop for access over the internet. All on the iPad. Pretty sure the same (or very similar) apps will be available on an Android device.

If the tablet is only going to be used for this, a lower cost option would seem appropriate - I would probably opt for Android rather than Apple.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK - Lower cost would mean I would go for one of those remotes.... considerably cheaper!

I will go check out those other RDP apps... thanks!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 1,220 Posts
    I quite like TeamViewer, think it is superior to logmein or RDP (don't know splashtop). TeamViewer has clients for Android, iPhone and iPad.

TeamViewer is free for non commercial use, so you can't beat free. Plus, it is excelent, from a technical point of view.