Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Win7 SP1 is not listed as installed, although I know it is

I was to start a reinstall of my system (Win7 Home Premium SP1 32 bits) in accordance with the instructions given by Fred Langa on his famous article "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall".
    The first thing I had to do was to remove the Win7 Service Pack1 using the Control Panel.
    What was not my surprise when I could not find the SP listed as installed, although I know it is.
    How do I know?
    • Because I remember installing it not long ago;
    • Control Panel shows me so;
    • Win7 SP1 is not listed as an available update.
    What can I do un-install SP1?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Flores

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you could download the iso for win7 complete with SP1 from Microsoft site or digital river., burn it to disk and use that to do the repair install. No need then to uninstall SP1.

A good site to link to digital river is below Scroll down to find the correct ISO for your win7 install.

http://jiwang.org/berita-dunia/11012...spi-sajer.html
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-11 at 10:20.

Thanks
    I have never seen the site Curious linked to. Here is the site I have seen before and used myself. Just right click on the iso file and choose Burn Disk Image. This will create a bootable image to a DVD that will allow you to uses in your endeavor to use Fred's methods or reinstall altogether.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    =...you could download the iso for win7 complete with SP1
    Hello Clive,

Thanks for your help.
    Unfortunately I am not an expert in SP's.

So, here are my questions, if you can help:

- Win7 SP1 includes just the update files for my original Win7 DVD installation, or a completely updated Win7 (original DVD + SP1)?
    - If just the updated files, where do I find the ISO for Win7 complete with SP1?at the MS site? I have found just SP1 for download.

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    The link I supplied is the entire Win 7 iso including SP1 and ALL updates up to the time SP1 was released. All updates after SP1 was released would have to be added separately.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I have never seen the site Curious linked to. Here is the site I have seen before and used myself. Just right click on the iso file and choose Burn Disk Image. This will create a bootable image to a DVD that will allow you to uses in your endeavor to use Fred's methods or reinstall altogether.
    Hi Ted your right your link is better (only one Google found for me) but mine does take you to digital river just the same just not so easily.

Suspect your going to be lumbered with answering the follow up questions.

Thanks
    Hello Ted,

Long time no see, but here I am again with my questions.

Nice to hear from you.

I opened the link you suggested and found that I will need to purchase a license key to activate Windows 7. Don't you think my original license key will not be enough?

Regards,
    Flores

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    @ flores
    You will need a blank DVD-R disk and a DVD player / burner. And image burning software. Can use win 7 built in burner software or another such as Imgburn which is good.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amflores View Post
    Hello Ted,

Long time no see, but here I am again with my questions.

Nice to hear from you.

I opened the link you suggested and found that I will need to purchase a license key to activate Windows 7. Don't you think my original license key will not be enough?

Regards,
    Flores
    You can use your original genuine activation key no problems as disk is exactly the same as your original disk just with SP1 added. Provided you downloaded the same version of win 7 - Home Premium / pro / ultimate as your license is for. Also make sure it is either 32bit or 64bit as you have installed now.

If you have used your key too many times may have to use the telephone option to activate (takes a while but does work if your in possession of a genuine copy).
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-11 at 11:22.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by amflores View Post
    I was to start a reinstall of my system (Win7 Home Premium SP1 32 bits) in accordance with the instructions given by Fred Langa on his famous article "Win7's no-reformat, nondestructive reinstall".
    The first thing I had to do was to remove the Win7 Service Pack1 using the Control Panel.
    What was not my surprise when I could not find the SP listed as installed, although I know it is.
    How do I know?
    • Because I remember installing it not long ago;
    • Control Panel shows me so;
    • Win7 SP1 is not listed as an available update.
    What can I do un-install SP1?

Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards,
    Flores
    Maybe somewhere along the line you have deleted the backup files. (often done when using windows "disk cleanup" if box is ticked). Without them you cannot remove SP1 easily.
    If you haven't you should find it under "programs and features" / "view installed updates". Not programs.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-11 at 11:31.

Thanks
    ...You can use your original genuine activation key no problems as disk is exactly the same as your original disk just with SP1 added. Provided you downloaded the same version of win 7 - Home Premium / pro / ultimate as your license is for. Also make sure it is either 32bit or 64bit as you have installed now.
    If you have used your key too many times may have to use the telephone option to activate (takes a while but does work if your in possession of a genuine copy).
    Thanks, Clive.

I think I have all my doubts answered.

Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    =...Maybe somewhere along the line you have deleted the backup files. (often done when using windows "disk cleanup" if box is ticked). ........If you haven't you should find it under "programs and features" / "view installed updates". Not programs.
    Hello Clive,

I was reading again the posts on this thread, and one of yours caught my attention. (See quote)

I seldom use "disk cleanup", and then I found a "Service Pack for MS Windows (KB976932)" recent update (Nov.26,2011) at "view installed updates".

My question is: Can I safely unistall this SP from there ("view installed updates"), instead of downloadind and burning the entire Win7 ISO file that includes SP1 (a big download 2,4Gb)?

Then, I would follow the steps on Fred Langa's article to finish the nondestructive reinstall.

What do you think? The risk will be mine.

Regards,
    Flores

Thanks
    You can attempt the uninstall. As you say the risk will be yours. If the procedure outlined by Fred fails you can then download the iso file and start over. There has been mixed success with this method. It works for some and not for others. Yes, the full Win 7 with SP1 download is large but gives you a very clean and good Win 7 with SP1 dvd to use. As Clive has already mentioned, if you have a valid key already then you do not need to purchase another key.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi Flores,

I really don't see why you'd uninstall SP1, repair Windows, then install SP1 again, when you can avoid the hassle and, in the process, get a Windows 7 SP1 legitimate disk that will work with your Windows key. Sorry to ask, but is there a reason for that?

Regards

Rui

Thanks
    My feeling is that he is trying to avoid the large download Rui. Perhaps there is a bandwidth problem, or a cost involved. I also believe that option would be the best option. Fred's method is an option, but does have it's flaws and does not always work in every case. Downloading the iso with SP1 included would, as you say, give him a legitimate Win 7 DVD with SP1 already included. I did this for my Ultimate setup and it worked very well. As I say perhaps he has some downloading issues we do not know about.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast