Lounger
    Thanks

Starting 2012 with a typical Patch Tuesday

Can't find anything on the following. Anyone install yet?

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2584146)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2585542)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2644615)

Labeled as important, but no word on them in chart. Help appreciated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mnorman View Post
    Can't find anything on the following. Anyone install yet?

Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2584146)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2585542)
    Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2644615)

Labeled as important, but no word on them in chart. Help appreciated.
    Hello mnorman, and welcome to the Lounge!

These updates were just released yesterday, so Susan will likely cover them in tomorrows Patch Watch.

However, I have installed these updates on five PCs today without any difficulties. That said, YMMV, as everyone's setup is different.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

PATCH WATCH

By Susan Bradley

We start 2012 with the usual suspects: media-player patching, Windows Kernel, and MS Office.

Most of the patches this round are not critical, but the most unusual is a much-anticipated fix for an SSL vulnerability called the BEAST attack.

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/patch-watch/starting-2012-with-a-typical-patch-tuesday/ (opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.
    Last edited by Tracey Capen; 2012-01-11 at 18:00.

Lounger
    Thanks

One patch missing

She covered everything except 2585542. Any word on that? For whatever it's worth, it was the only patch in update that was not automatically checked. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mnorman View Post
    She covered everything except 2585542. Any word on that? For whatever it's worth, it was the only patch in update that was not automatically checked. Thanks.
    Yes, this specific update is a part of the (MS12-006) Bulletin, and is included in Susan's recommendation to hold off until the end of January to see what develops on this patch. I did patch two Windows 7 PCs, so far without issue, but I have put others on hold, following her advice to wait.

You can view information about this patch here.

See this link for known issues with KB2585542. NOTE: This covers all the KB numbers included in the (MS12-006) Bulletin.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I can't find comments on these .NET patches: 2656352, 2656353 and 2657424. My CPA friend installed these and now his XP system has been slow in operation and has problems shutting down. It's also locked up with a screen stating "Server Busy" "Change Location" or "Retry."

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsons View Post
    I can't find comments on these .NET patches: 2656352, 2656353 and 2657424. My CPA friend installed these and now his XP system has been slow in operation and has problems shutting down. It's also locked up with a screen stating "Server Busy" "Change Location" or "Retry."
    All three of these patches are included in MS bulletin MS11-100, that was discussed in Susan's Jan. 5 column. She recommended that desktop users could ignore these for now, but that web-server administrators should make them a high priority.

If you don't find a KB number that you are being offered in your Updates on the Patch Chart or in Susan's column, here's how to find Susan's recommendation: Highlight the KB on your Updates and then click on the web link in the explanation. That will take you to the MS Bulletin, which will include a list of all of the KB numbers to which the Bulletin applies. Then look for the Bulletin number in Susan's column. You also can search for both Bulletins and KB's on the MS Bulletin site. Bottom line: When you can't find your KB number in Susan's info, you need to find the MS Bulletin that applies to it.

Hope this helped.
    MarciaG

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am rebuilding a win 7 install and Windows update wants to install 108 updates. I have looked for, and failed to find, a compiled list of Susan's Skips, and Waits which have become Skips. Does any one know of such a compilation? If not, I would like to suggest that such a list would be useful to anyone undergoing the agony of a rebuild. Thank you for all the valuable work you do in our behalf.

Lounger
    Thanks
    wilsons --

Oops, in my previous post meant to say that Susan's Jan. 5th column rec was that desktop users could ignore the three out-of-cycle .NET updates but that WEB-SERVER ADMINS should make a priority. Not sure what your CPA friend's experience means for the later, but as a desktop user, I'm just putting these in the pile with the rest of the skipped .NET updates.

Also, not sure why some updates don't make it to the Patch List or get dropped.

MarciaG

Lounger
    Thanks
    MarciaG - I had several of those that I couldnt figure out, but they turned out to be things that didnt apply (e.g., "Cannot print on Canon printers...", etc.) and I didnt make good enough notes when I passed them over without hiding them. Not implying that is your case, but it is difficult to find an efficient way to keep track of all this stuff. I have a big spreadsheet of all the MS11-nnn, kb# in the Patch Watch column, kb# that was actually correct for my machines, etc., and it still slips through the cracks.

My question:

What about the IE8 compatibility view for Win7 x64 (2598845) and three updates for MS Office 2007 and Excel 2007 (2596651, 2596789, 2596596 all December 2011)? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary -

You already seem to be using a list system that tracks the KB's you are offerred with the KB and MS Bulletin numbers in Susan's column and the Patch Chart similar to the system I use. I've been fortunate that I've been able to resolve most of the situations where my KB isn't in the column or on the Patch List by searching the MS Bulletin site. When something "falls through the cracks," which in my case have been updates that were "skips" or "waits" in the column and didn't get carried over to the Patch Chart or which appeared at one time on the Chart then got dropped, I've posted and Susan or one of the forum administrators has answered.

Re the three updates you asked about: All three are included in MS Article ID 2651813, which applies to a long list of Dec. 13 office updates. They are listed in the nonsecurity section in the Article. Five of the 10 nonsecurity updates in the MS Article were in Susan's Dec. 15 column under the heading "Take a pass on these nonsecurity updates for now" and are on the Jan. 12 Patch Chart as "Wait." The KB numbers Susan lists are KB 2553270 - KB 2633952. I believe that Susan's recommendation for these updates would also apply to the other five, which include your three, one of which I also was offerred.

Hope this helps.
    MarciaG

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MarciaG For This Useful Post:

gpeyton (2012-02-06)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    re: "Waiting for more information on fallen updates", MS12-006

KB2585542 was apparently installed successfully on Jan 11 on this machine (XP) without evident problems (I did not notice this at the time). What I cannot find anywhere is a list of the "many applications [that] were in a broken state (mostly 3rd party)" ( http://blogs.msdn.com/b/kaushal/archive/2012/01/21/fixing-the-beast.aspx ). I have nothing broken - what am I expecting to see?

BWD