Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    iNET Interactive
    Thanks

Great Android helper apps for Windows

TOP STORY

Great Android helper apps for Windows

By Fred Langa

Some free and low-cost apps make your Android phone and your Windows PC work together as a team.

Use these tools to optimize your home or office Wi-Fi setup, remotely control your PC from your phone (or your phone from your PC), share and transfer files in either direction, create and edit full-blown Microsoft Office documents on your phone, and much more!

The full text of this column is posted at windowssecrets.com/top-story//great-android-helper-apps-for-Windows/ (paid content, opens in a new window/tab).

Columnists typically cannot reply to comments here, but do incorporate the best tips into future columns.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My experience is similar to yours, Fred, except that I started out years ago with a (2nd-hand) Windows Mobile-based smartphone. (UP until my last purcahse, I always avioded the latest and greatest.) I switched to an Android-based phone about 3-4 years ago, and I found that it worked as well or better than a WM phone with Windows. The "open" nature of Android apps and their ready availability make the difference! I just plunked down the $$$ for an unbranded (unlocked) Moto Droid RAZR and love it and the way it interacts DIRECTLY (little set up) with the files on my W7 computer(s) via Motocast from anywhere. Amazing!

Thanks for the tips on other Android apps I can check out.

Chuck in Taiwan

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Excellent piece, as usual, Fred. Thanks.
    I'm new to Android (tablet, as opposed to phone), but I'm amazed at all the useful apps out there, as you say, many free or very cheap. You might find a screen capture app useful for articles such as these - I see several in the Android marketplace that seem to be well-reviewed.
    Curious how you know that your Android could out-perform an iPhone in a drop test, tho...hope it's not by personal experience!

New Lounger
    Thanks

Android helper apps

Hi Fred,
    you forgot a good one Printer Share. Lets you print to any Wi-Fi enabled printer or network printer on a network with a W.A.P. installed on it. Availble from Android Market in free and paid versions. Another can't live without it app.
    Phil

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One comment: I found that once you install the Amazon appstore app, anything you get through amazon will drop dead if you uninstall the appstore, or else get a replacement phone and do not install it, and then try to re-install ANY app you had before that you got through the store app......as a result I use the notices from Amazon about "free apps" and "great apps" to scent out good stuff, and then either pay full price for it, or get it through another market or the programmer's own site. Finding everything dropped dead that I got through the Amazon appstore was a dirty slap in the face, given that it was a secret before it happened to me.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to TexARC For This Useful Post:

ronsimpson (2012-01-12)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I find myself using the phone for email now rather than PC. The only problem that the Androids have vs. the Iphones is being able to easily and wirelessly print from the phone. I have tried several of the recommended print downloads, but have not found one that is quick and easy. The google print works fairly well, but until Android includes a print option that is easy to work, I think we will be stuck with PCs for a long time.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for an excellent "first" post about android and windows collaboration. I'm going to test the Wi-Fi Analyzer first thing when I get home!

A tip to make screenshots, most newer Android (I think it is since 2.2?) can do that with a key-combination. On my Samsung Galaxy S+ (and it seems on other Galaxy and most Samsungs) by holding the "Back" button and pressing "Home". You may even hear a camera-click. The screenshot is stored in a folder named "ScreenCapture" as a png file.

HTC seems to use power and back, and on some websites it recommends other combinations. Or, as vynnyf pointed out, there are some apps to do it.

The screenshots you made are more than good enough for the article, but if you can get the screen capture to work I think you will find it more convenient.

Thanks and keep those articles rolling!

New Lounger
    Thanks

We need more!

Let the iPhone users stick with Apple and limit themselves to the controlled Apple apps (if they even bother!) Android is more akin to Windows - it is more open and as a result will fall over occasionally, but we don't mind that as we have the opportunity to investigate further and discover all the neat software and apps out there.

More Android - Windows articles, please!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Fred,

I see you mentioned LogMeIn as a good solution. It indeed is, but the free version is very limited in functions. A free solution (for non-commercial use) that works just as well or better, including remote control, file transfer, presentation mode, Android client and all, is TeamViewer (www.teamviewer.com). Try to check it out, I'm sure you would ditch LogMeIn in a snap, like I did!

The only downside is a pop-up at the end of each session reminding you that it was a free session sponsored by TeamViewer. But I can live with it.

And welcome to the wonderful world of Android.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your article

Dear Fred, at 68 years young I no longer feel that I am a dinosaur. Your article was excellent and when I looked at my Android phone I was surprised to see that I was using three of the applications you recommended. My firm favourite is DropBox which I use regularly and that has improved my productivity. I am a part-time ICT Tutor and practitioner and many of the venues that I work in have their own operating systems (XP, Vista & 7) and Office Applications (XP, 2003, 2007 and 2010) but thanks to my Android phone this is no longer a problem.

Keep up the good work and once again thank you.

John Thompson, Devon, UK

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are a number of apps for making Android screenshots. Screen Capture Shortcut from TOMMORROWKEY works great if your phone is supported (mostly Samsung phones).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Rdp

Speaking of remote control Apps, I use 2X Client which allows for using RDP to remote desktop in to a windows machine. It works great!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wvlord View Post
    I find myself using the phone for email now rather than PC. The only problem that the Androids have vs. the Iphones is being able to easily and wirelessly print from the phone. I have tried several of the recommended print downloads, but have not found one that is quick and easy. The google print works fairly well, but until Android includes a print option that is easy to work, I think we will be stuck with PCs for a long time.
    I've had no problems with PrintShare (from the Adroid Market Place) both at home and at the office.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TexARC View Post
    One comment: I found that once you install the Amazon appstore app, anything you get through amazon will drop dead if you uninstall the appstore, or else get a replacement phone and do not install it, and then try to re-install ANY app you had before that you got through the store app......as a result I use the notices from Amazon about "free apps" and "great apps" to scent out good stuff, and then either pay full price for it, or get it through another market or the programmer's own site. Finding everything dropped dead that I got through the Amazon appstore was a dirty slap in the face, given that it was a secret before it happened to me.
    Thanks for the warning a couple of my favorite utilities came from Amazon

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred, great article. Two of my favorites not mentioned are Lastpass and EverNote.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast