New Lounger
    Thanks

Mozilla loses connectivity when waking up

I have a weird one, but I've seen weirder solved by WS Loungers, so here's hoping.

Running XP Pro SP3 on a Dell Vostro 220 with Intel Core 2 Duo E7300. I use Firefox (haven't upgraded from v7.0.1 yet) and Thunderbird (v8.0). After waking up from Standby, frequently (more than 50% of the time but not 100%), neither Firefox nor Thunderbird can connect to the internet. Firefox gives a "Page Not Found" error, and Thunderbird says "Connecting ..." then "Connected ..." then nothing.

For months, when this happened, I resolved the issue by rebooting my DSL modem, which sometimes helped, and when it didn't, rebooting the whole system. One day, I can't explain my thought process, I tried connecting to the internet with Google Chrome, and it worked. After the Chrome connect/page load, both Firefox and Thunderbird would then behave properly. This is repeatable behavior. I can fail to load pages any number of times with Firefox, but if I load a page with Chrome, Firefox then works -- always -- on the first or second try. BTW, the trick doesn't work with MSIE.

So ... any explanation for this strange behavior? and more to the point, is there anything I can do to obviate the Chrome intervention?

Thanks for looking!
    ERinSTL

Thanks
    ERinSTL, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

My PC does at times take a finite time to wirelessly connect to my wireless router. If I attempt to connect to the internet during this time I might be able to, or might not be able to. Could this be the problem you are experiencing? Have you attempted to wait for a while longer before trying? (My internet connection indicator sometimes shows connection even though my system is still working on completing the boot process and does not allow this connection until this process has completed.)

I do not use FF. I use IE 9 as my default browser. I do have this same symptom happen if I attempt to connect to the internet too quickly with Chrome as well. This is my only thought at this time.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Ted. I really thought I had covered all the variables by trying my "trick" with IE, failing, then getting my usual success with Chrome. But you're right, it could still be a timing issue.

I will check your suggestion next time the opportunity arises, wait for ... say ... a minute before trying to load web pages. One thing, though: I didn't say so, but my desktop computer is hard-wired to my router with an ethernet cable. It is a wireless router, but only the family laptop and occasional visitors use WiFi. Interestingly, the situation doesn't seem to arise on the laptop. I say "seem" because my wife is the main user of the laptop, and she is not very tech-savvy -- even worse than me!

Thanks for the input.

Regards,
    ERinSTL

Thanks
    That is strange then because hard wired usually connects quicker than wireless, at least in our network. I'm not really a network person myself, I was just guessing based on my own experience on my home network and out wireless laptops. Hmmm, very perplexing. Of course I have upgraded to Win 7 on my PC's as well and I do remember more problems with XP. Sorry, I have no more guesses at this point. If something more comes to mind I will surely post back. Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

ERinSTL (2012-01-17)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion chowur. I updated my NIC driver as you suggested. Had to use both hands to click "Run", as this level of fiddling with a working computer gives me severe heartburn We'll have to just wait and see if this changes anything. But I can at least say it looks like I haven't broken anything.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have the same issue with both work and home pc's if I leave them on overnight for instance. The work pc uses IE, at home I use FF. Both are wired connections. What I need to do is refresh the page or my yahoo mail will never reload, it tries but errors out, same thing happens with IE, refresh the page and it reconnects and loads fine. What is odd is that this is relatively new behavior, it wasn't this way a year ago for instance, always on meant always on, and I'm using the same equipment I was using a year ago, so my thought, and I may well be wrong, is that something in one of Microsoft's patches over the last year is what caused this issue. Clicking refresh isn't difficult, just annoying. :^)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for that, genej313. Misery loves company. It's good to know this isn't something obscenely stupid I'm doing (giving you credit for not being obscenely stupid, even though I don't know you).

For a couple of days there, I thought the NIC driver update had worked its magic, but Mozilla (Firefox and Thunderbird) pulled the same trick on me yesterday. I repeatedly tried to load/reload pages in Firefox, and repeatedly got "server not found" error. Finally, concurrently, I opened Google Chrome. It loaded my default home page, and the next time I tried a page in Firefox, it loaded.

Arrrrrgh.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    you could go to your network adapter 'properties / power management' and make sure "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not ticked.
    It may be turning off your Ethernet adapter when hibernating or sleep and not restarting fast enough when waking.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    But clive, wouldn't that affect Chrome, too, just as it would Firefox/Thunderbird?

Ted Myers, the first Lounger to try to be helpful here, raised the timing issue -- that I may be polling my internet connection with Firefox too soon after waking. I suppose I'm never going to 100% prove that the timing isn't a coincidence -- that the connection was about to come back alive anyway. But I've had this happen too often, where, no matter how long and how often I try with Firefox to open a page or Thunderbird to check email, nothing happens. Then, right after successfully loading with Chrome, Firefox/Thunderbird is back.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More in answer to curiousclive-- even though it didn't seem like a likely explanation, I have gone ahead and done as suggested. We'll see. It will take at least a few days before I can conclusively say it might have helped ... but much less time to say it didn't.