Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

Android apps for tablets

recent langlist article discussed iphone/computer apps interfaces
    are these apps applicable to tablets also

Thanks
    repainter, welcome to the Lounge. It's very nice to see new members.

Although Fred's article discusses his experiences with a phone in particular, the Android OS is almost identical for tablets except for the ability to make phone calls in most cases. In fact my Nook Color can be dual booted with Android Gingerbread v 2.3.4 and I can have the same capabilities as my Samsung Galaxsy S II Epic 4G Touch phone (except for the phone calls) in all respects so I would say that yes it should be true.

Give it a try and see what happens. The worst that could happen is it will not work and you have lost some time and have to uninstall a few apps.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    thanks for your very informative reply

Thanks
    You are very welcome. My phone has Gingerbread v 2.3.6 and my Nook has v 2.3.4. They both have the same apps installed and work the same. I can connect via WiFi with both. My Nook does not have 3g/4g capability, but does have WiFi. All the apps Fred talks about are available on the Android market and as long as I have WiFi connectivity my Nook can connect similarly to my phone. I use the same AV apps on both my phone and my Nook. I have the same browsers, etc.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

thanks again for prompt reply

i have a le pan tablet
    does your recommendations fit into that operating system
    thanks

Thanks
    It appears the Le Pan Tablet uses the Android Honeycomb OS which is v3.0. I do not see why not although I have never used Honeycomb. It is just a later version of Android than Gingerbread just as the new Ice Cream Sandwich v 4 is an updated version of Honeycomb.

Think of Android like this, V2 (Gingerbread) to V3 (Honeycomb) to V4 (Ice Cream Sandwich) Have no idea where they came up with these names.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    A few days ago I got an offer on an RPad that I just couldn't refuse. It uses an Android OS and it's a Tablet PC, not a phone or book reader.

Doing some research on the Android OS, I find that it's very powerful and there are over 400,000 apps available for it.
    Even Firefox is developing an internet browser for it.
    It's not a phone, but once you access the internet you (I) should be able to use any VIOP service, even Google Phone to make phone calls.
    I can also access my home PC (if I've left it on) using Team Viewer, to access files.

It will be a lot of fun driving around the area and seeing what hot spots I can find and just what I can do with the Tablet. It should work very much like a laptop PC on Wi Fi, but it will be smaller and easier to carry around and use.

I should have it by next Wednesday (1-18-12).

Cheers Mates!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Have fun with that Wayne. I generally use my Nook as a reader although I dual boot it with the Nook v 1.4 os and Gingerbread v 2.3.4 (using a 16 GB micro SD card from N2A cards) The Android OS is indeed very powerful and can be used for much more than I presently use it for. I just haven't had the "play time" yet to explore with it. Plus I already have the new Samsung Galaxy S II phone with Gingerbread as well. You should have lots of fun with it. Have a great time. Let us know how it goes.

Ted (from cold and snowy Rochester)
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just one comment on Fred's article - he mentioned the hassles with taking photos of Android screens. Well, if you download the Android SDK, you can connect to the Android from your PC and capture screen images. I did this over a year ago when I blogged at work about my experience with connection my Android phone to the work network and accessing (or failing to) various various corporate web sites.

And Ice Cream Sandwich (Andorid 4.0) supposedly has screen capture built in.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

When you first register your tablet with the Android Market, it then knows what device you have and will tell you if the app is not compatible.

Regards,
    Maria
    Maria
    Simmo7
    Victoria, Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The market will also block many programs from your device by showing that is incompatible even tho it would work just fine.
    Why they do this is beyond me but it is a fact.
    sl22

Lounger
    Thanks

Running Android Apps On A Pc

PC World has an article on using BlueStacker apps player. You can download this app from find.pcworld.com/72497 .
    This app works only with Windows 7 or Vista. Got a good review. Page 55 of February 2012 issue.

Good luck.

kwhiz01

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kwhiz01 For This Useful Post:

emr313 (2012-03-07),Katsu999 (2012-01-19)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    It appears the Le Pan Tablet uses the Android Honeycomb OS which is v3.0. I do not see why not although I have never used Honeycomb. It is just a later version of Android than Gingerbread just as the new Ice Cream Sandwich v 4 is an updated version of Honeycomb.
    Although true, your statement is somewhat misleading. Gingerbread and Honeycomb represent two separate branches of Android code; the former for phones, and the latter for tablets. Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) represents the unification of those two branches, and theoretically at least, means that an app designed for one will work and scale correctly on either.

Thanks
    Sorry, I'm not an expert at Android either. I have and use Android Gingerbread on both my Phone and Nook. I am waiting for ICS for my phone. I realize now that Honeycomb is for just tablets. Thankyou for pointing that out.

The original question however was if these apps were able to be used on tablets as well, and I still believe this is possible because I am doing so. As stated I do not know if these will work with Honeycomb from personal experience but I would thing it possible and worth trying.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

Android Gingerbread

My Motorola Zoom Tablet - WiFi only was recently purchase as a (like-new) factory re-furb (Thanksgiving time frame) with Android Gingerbread installed; It upgraded (pushed) tonight to ICS. My HTC Inspire 4G purchased last Summer/Fall, came with Gingerbread installed. For the most part, with only a couple exceptions, the Zoom runs the same apps as the HTC phone. In fact, when you buy/install an app on the Android Market from one of the devices, the app is available on the other device as already purchased. Seems most all of the apps I have, which are many, have been upgraded for ICS, or were already compatable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast