New Lounger
    Thanks

Font size (XP 2002)

I tried to change the font size to a number and a decimal. I received an error that this was an invalid number. Is this a new feature of XP? I was able to change font size with decimals before in earlier versions of Word.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Font size (XP 2002)

I was able to change the font to 10.5. What number/decimal were you trying and were you going to the drop-down box on the toolbar or were you going to Format > Font?

SJMiller

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When I try this on my system, I get a "This is not a valid number" message for anything other than .5 increments.
    Sigh.

Arianna

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Arianna,

I don't have Word XP, but in Word 97 and 2000, anything other than .5 increments are indeed not valid numbers.
    Sad, but true. (I remember the shock of this limitation, coming from FrameMaker (where you could specify a font size like 10.02 pts) to Word.....)

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

For some reason, I thought this capacity used to exist in older versions of Word... Maybe I was having FrameMaker flashbacks as well.

I wonder, is the .5 point limitation in Word an arbitrary one, or is there an underlying reason? Also, I wonder if this only occurs for TrueType fonts, or if it happens with PostScript as well.... speculation, anyone?

Arianna