New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows Imaging Service failure

I'm using Vista

My Skype connection fails after establing contact.
    My Scan funtion is not working on my HP printer.

I believe both issues are related to "Windows imaging Service" failure of some sort...

Suggestions needed to solve this problem

Thanks

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge,

The Windows Image Acquisition Service can, indeed, affect, your ability to use a scanner, but I fail to see how it would affect skype.

About the WIA, see if this is of help: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...f-fcb4537109a6

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I checked out the suggested url and started all svc as recommended without joy.
    Still not working..... Skype stopped working at the same time as the scanner stopped working..... also it seems as if it all started after an auto window update occured.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Do you know when that occurred?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Seems as if was in mid Dec 2011

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you restore the system to that point in time? Or maybe remove updates, one by one, until the system gets back to normalcy?

I would backup before trying it. Also, the skype issue still looks a different one, to me.

Thanks
    A large number of HP all-in-one printers are no longer scanning! The error comes up as "HP CUE Scanning Flow Component has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." I have searched until I am blue in the face and cannot find a fix for it...... and so have a lot of other folks.

A registry edit is recommended but there is no such entry in my registry. There are some other suggested fixes, none of which work for me. Registry cleaners are blamed for the problem by some writers. I know that wasn't my problem with the beast.

I have about given up on it, and only seek an answer once in a while when I have absolutely nothing else to do. It IS my last HP printer though I guarantee.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by midnight View Post
    A large number of HP all-in-one printers are no longer scanning!

I have about given up on it, and only seek an answer once in a while when I have absolutely nothing else to do. It IS my last HP printer though I guarantee.
    midnight,
    Hello... On my OS's i also use a HP C7180 all in one printer. Occasionally the scan function will stop working ...It's not from updating from HP or Windows ... I Never apply "Patches or Updates" on any of my OS's that are otherwise working ... I'm not recommending this as a plan for all ... As i trust in my own "Security" paradigm and have not had any problems so far ( since 2007 ) With Vista "7" and now XP. I do believe that I'm the cause of the problem with the printer.. Running various cleaners and deleting "Registry Entries",or just "messing" with the OS's etc. The Fix for me is always to ....

1. Do a Full Image Backup first.

2. Remove all thing's HP ...Using their uninstaller first and then doing a complete search for leftovers of all files and folders in all the usual places ...Including the registry ..

3. I then run jv-16 and remove all leftovers ( doing a backup ) using jv-16 registry backup before i "pull the trigger"

4. Re-Boot...then i re-install the original HP software ... (always the oldest one)

Most times this works ...until i break the system again...(usually once every 6 months or so) I have done this many times over the years and seems to work .. My 2 cents to all... Is that if you insist on a never ending installation of "Patches and Updates" You will eventually break something... If your Security Paradigm is a good one ,and have "Backup Images ".... "No problemo". Once your OS is working .... Never mess with it ... Helmet on ...Let the screaming begin... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    My HP all-in-one is bit older than yours I think, an office jet 6500. When I bought a Win 7 machine I had to get new software from HP for it to run, which it did for about a year and then this Cue Scanning thing came up. I have done the uninstall via HP system, then the cleanup and clean out of everything HP as you say, using Revo. Reinstall with the new software received from HP, still no go.

I may have just had an epiphany while writing this.... if the new software is 64 bit ( and I don't know that but will try to find out) then Revo wouldn't remove all of it.

As I said before [more times than I'd like to admit] I occasionally do a new Google search hoping that someone had found a fix, or that HP has finally deigned to help without a $35 phone call.

Barbara

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    I have done the uninstall via HP system, then the cleanup and clean out of everything HP as you say, using Revo. Reinstall with the new software received from HP, still no go.
    midnight,
    Hello... I guess that i wasn't clear , let me try to explain. After you use the included HP un-installer... on my HP you run the main install program..Then select "Un-install all things related to this program" or something like that .. Once that finishes ...running "Revo" won't help as there is no program to remove...only "bits and pieces" of the HP removal are left ...Which are extensive.. The only (efficient) way is to use a 3rd party program ...i recommend "Ultrafilesearch" (Free) ..you input HP and where you want to search and "let er rip",carefully removing all entries found .. After you are done i then use jv-16 to find and remove all the now "orphaned" registry entries.. At this point you can even (if you a complete wacko...like me) then do a registry search...using Registry Editor.."Edit"> "Find".... then delete\ or export using the F3 key to advance the search one at a time.. Hope i didn't confuse everyone even more... Regards Fred

PS: UltraFileSearch Free here
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-17 at 13:56.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    You're right..... I misunderstood part of that, and will TRY to get to it tomorrow for another removal/reinstall.

Many thanks, even if it DOESN'T work.... it is something else to try.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right..... I misunderstood part of that, and will TRY to get to it tomorrow for another removal/reinstall.

Many thanks, even if it DOESN'T work.... it is something else to try.
    Midnight,
    Just remember to do the full system "Image" first, as a "Restore Point won't help you if you remove something that you shouldn't have ...Been there done that! Regards Fred
    PlainFred