2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task bar doubled

My wife uses a netbook computer running XP SP3. Just yesterday the taskbar became a double-decker, the Quick Launch is on the upper level, programs appear on the lower level, and the Tray is spread across both. The small dotted lines to the left of the Quick Launch bar are matched on the lower level even though there are no Quick Launch icons there. I have searched for a solution and tried a couple of suggestions. One was to move the cursor to the edge of the taskbar and when it becomes a double arrow to left click & drag the taskbar down. This did not work. However, if I get rid of the Quick Launch bar I can re-size, but it goes back to doulble if I show it again. Another was to re-start in safe mode, then re-boot, that didn't work either.

I'd like to get back to "normal" since space on a 10" screen is limited enough without this new annoyance.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Thanks
    Rino,

Just hover your curosr over the top of the TB until you get a double sided arrow then drag down to regain the single level. Make sure the TB is unlocked {right-click TB and make sure Lock Task Bar is UNChecked} then re-lock after you're done.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    I think the key here is to be sure the TB is unlocked. If it is locked then the double arrow trick will not work. I have occ. accidentally grabbed this and made it bigger, than said darn (well you all know what I really said) then had to re-size it untill I finally locked the TB in the size I wanted it to stay.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply. That does work, but only if I hide the Quick Launch bar. If I restore the Qick Launch the size doulbles even if the Task bar is locked. Maybe she can live without the Qick Launch

Thanks
    I do not use the Quick Launch bar anyway. You can pin whatever apps you want directly to the Taskbar. I actually setup a new Toolbar on the Taskbar that I call Shortcuts and place shortcuts to all my often used apps:

Just right click on the Taskbar and choose Create a new Toolbar, then browse to My Documents and create a folder called Shortcuts. Place shortcuts to all the apps you use a lot in this folder or just drop them onto the Shortcuts Toolbar and voila you have a Toolbar populated with your shortcuts.

ShortcutsToolbar.png
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-12 at 14:06.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Rhino,

Try dragging the Quick Launch bar {using the fuzzy line next to it} back down to the bottom left of the task bar, then resize it as stated above. I've had this problem before and it is fixable but may take more than one try.

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its actually easier if you make the taskbar larger to begin with, then drag those group seperation lines around until they go all the way north and south through the taskbar with just the quick launch on the left if that's where you want it and the apps and explorer windows bar in the middle. Then reduce the size of the taskbar by pulling it down to one line.
    Also note that you can go into the properties of the taskbar and choose to auto hide it when not in use to get maximum screen real estate for your programs and explorer windows. Also, while the taskbar is unlocked, right click in the quick launch area and choose View>> and see if its set to large icons or small. If its large then the taskbar may seem like its still double lined even though its only single, but needs more room for the large icon; switch it to small and it will become a skinny single line.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input, after several attempts I've decided that my wife really doesn't need a Quick Launch bar. This is what you might call an Administrator decision.

Thanks
    Good choice!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Don't we all just love making "Administrator Decisions"?

I've had lots of problems with the taskbar jumping to two lines. It's usually the size and position of the Quick Launch Toolbar.
    As stated, removing the QLT fixes that problem.
    I too have a Netbook, and the desktop space is very valuable. Sometimes, if I can't get to the bottom of a window to click a OK, or Apply button, I grab the taskbar and move it to the right side of the screen, , , that gives me more room vertically, to click on buttons that are at the very bottom of the screen.

Netbooks can be lots of run, but they can be real pains in the A** too.

Good Luck with that Administrator Decision.

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Don't we all just love making "Administrator Decisions"?
    Well, for me, no...even if I have to take an 8 lb. maul to the task...no; that's how I figure out alternate methods that many have never even considered. I am the mold-er not the mold-ee, even if the process takes so long I get moldy.

Everybody seems to be drooling over "ultrabooks" now, all that is is a netbook that runs like a much more powerful laptop right? Costs a lot more I bet too!
    Last edited by Infinicore; 2012-01-16 at 10:33.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post

Everybody seems to be drooling over "ultrabooks" now, all that is is a netbook that runs like a much more powerful laptop right? Costs a lot more I bet too!
    Yep, that what ULTRA stands for Ultra Expensive. If you want to be cool like Apple you have to pay through the nose like Apple! [Disclaimer] Previous comment not intended to start a flame war.[/Disclaimer]

RG

VBA Rules!

Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinicore View Post
    Actually, Ultrabooks are meant to be close to the form factor of Tablets, but with Netbook or small Laptop capabilities. Think of the Macbook Air (only slightly smaller), and you get the idea. They are expensive to make, so they fetch a high price. There's also the "cool" factor, but face it, these are not Apple Macbooks.
    -- Bob Primak --

Administrator
    Thanks
    Remember, what we are seeing now is only the first big step. When Intel releases their next chipset there will be another big wave of hardware that is supposedly cheaper, lighter, better battery life, etc. Probably in time for holiday shopping this year.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Happened 2 evenings ago on my laptop xp SP3. Spent a frustrating 1/2 hour and then used System Restore. Worked 100%.