Thread: Using Window PE

Lounger
    Thanks

Using Window PE

I am trying to plan ahead for a recovery. No real experience doing this. I see Bart's Window PE download. Does this also work for Window 7 ? In the event i would need this would I then insert the WinPE CD I create and it would show a menu to get things going? I gather what PE does is to gives you enough of Win ability to at least run a Macrium recovery with.. right?

Any insight to this process would be appreciated.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PackGy View Post
    I am trying to plan ahead for a recovery. No real experience doing this. I gather what PE does is to gives you enough of Win ability to at least run a Macrium recovery with.. right?

Any insight to this process would be appreciated.
    Packgy,
    Hello... As far as Macrium Reflect goes ( For the version 5's ) the "WinPE" recovery disk will allow you to run the entire program at boot time ...The "Plain Jane" Linux Recovery disk will only let you do the basics...Although i could not get the Linux recovery disk to work with any of the version "5's" Just would boot into some "GRUB" screen ...Couldn't figure how to proceed from there. With the version "4's" the linux disk will let you do a recovery ....that's it.With the "PE" disk you can Image , Clone , or recover... in addition to use all the tools. The only down side is you have to download a 1.7 GB WAIK file to make it work...Not a big deal though.... Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-12 at 14:48.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I have only had Macrium for 3 days. The Test version to see how it works. Only the full purchase version will let you create the WinPE boot disk. I will dink with my version another day or so and probably buy the Full version. What are you thoughts on this product?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    PackGy,

Funny I've created a Macrium Reflect 5 Win PE disk from the Free version.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    The Test version to see how it works. What are you thoughts on this product?
    Packgy,
    Hello....As "RG" has stated with the free version Macrium Free you can make a "WinPE" recovery disk. I have done this as well. You just need the WAIK (1.7 GB download) Windows automated installation Kit ...Then Point Macrium to wherever you put it. Regards Fred

PS: I have used several versions of Macrium Reflect (free) from Version 4's on up.... they just work. Have done many recoveries.

PPS: Also used the same WAIK download for the free version of EASEUS Todo Backup
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-12 at 18:50.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Lounger
    Thanks
    What is was seeing was... I'd click to 'Create Bootable Rescue Media'. The "Rescue Media Wizard" enry box appears. Then 'Next' for the WinPE radio buttons. I then see "This feature is not available in the Trial version". So, I need to find the download for WAIK. After this, when needed, you put this CD in and (I ask a newbie question)... How do you point Macrium to it? This is version 5.0 by the way. Maybe it all gets cleared when I register this.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    PackGy,

Ah now I see said the blind man! You need to download the FREE version Not the Trial version...they are different!
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Thanks for clarifying, think I will register it in a day or 2 when done looking. Seems to be a reliable program based on comments by you and JPF. So now I can go out and blow out the driveway in a peacefull mindset.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    OK. Thanks for clarifying, think I will register it in a day or 2 when done looking.
    Packgy,
    Hello... I think that your confusing the free with the pay for...With the free version you don't need to register anything.. As far as the "WAIK" ...Just follow the prompts in the screens when making the recovery disk you can download the WAIK here, (and save it someplace... create folder etc. ) or let Macrium do the whole deal. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

New Lounger
    Thanks
    How do you use Easeus Todo free version to make a winpe iso when WAIK is installed? I ran the make recovery disk in Easeus Todo but the only option still is the linux version, no mention of a winpe version. What do I do?
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 770, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), Soundbaster Z, , WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Rosewill Photon 750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 10 Pro x64

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike,

I'm not sure the WinPE boot disc is available in the current Todo free version. ??What version are you using??? Fred, what about you???

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm using Easeus Todo 5.8 Free. I read that it's supposed to make a winpe if WAIK was installed. I have it installed but it still doesn't provide an option for winpe. I'm having a hard time with the tutorials to make a winpe with WAIK. I must be following directions that are no longer valid (old info) cause I'm getting errors when using the WAIK commands with the directions. So far I've found that making a winpe is not easy or I've not seen instructions that were easy and worked. I've about given up on it.
    I7 3770K @ 4.4 GHz (Noctua NH-U14S Heatsink), ASRock Z77 Extreme6, 16 Gigs Corsair DDR3 1600, EVGA GTX 770, Acer P236H 23" (1920x1080), Soundbaster Z, , WD 2 TB Black HDD, WD 1 TB Black HDD, WD 2 TB Black HDD (eSata), 2 DVD Burners, Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Speaker System, Rosewill Photon 750w PSU, HSPC Top Deck Tech Station, Windows 10 Pro x64

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike89 View Post
    I'm using Easeus Todo 5.8 Free. I read that it's supposed to make a winpe if WAIK was installed. I have it installed but it still doesn't provide an option for winpe. I'm having a hard time with the tutorials to make a winpe with WAIK. I must be following directions that are no longer valid (old info) cause I'm getting errors when using the WAIK commands with the directions. So far I've found that making a winpe is not easy or I've not seen instructions that were easy and worked. I've about given up on it.
    Mike,
    Hello.... I no longer use EASEUS backup , so i can't say why you can't build your "Recovery Disk"... My two backup programs are both "Pay for" Macrium Reflect Pro and Acronis 2010 & 2012. I have made the "WAIk" recovery disk with Macrium Reflect ...It's a basically "automated" once you have downloaded the WAIK file ...Just follow the screen prompting .. Macrium Reflect Free
    Post back if you get stuck.... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mike,

In Todo Free 4.0.0.2, this is the selection window. The red arrow shows the WinPE creation, the indigo arrow the Linux one.. ??Do you have these choices???

Capture.PNG

(You might post this question on the Easeus Todo free forum; I believe JE from Canada is using the paid version, but may be able to tell you if WinPE is still available in v.5.8 free.)

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2013-04-02 at 12:52.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Building a WinPE disc is not an option in the free version, only the more basic recovery disc ISO is included, which should be enough if you're just using imaging for basic recovery "insurance" for the same system the image is created from.