Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Startup noise cured by msconfig

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

The computer has been noisy at startup, the noises only stopping at about the time the Welcome screen appears.I was reading an article about the msconfig.exe application,most of which I was already familiar with, but it led me to check the Advanced Boot Options and to change the number of processors from one to two.(I have an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU). I thought this might possibly speed up boot time, but to my surprise every time I have started the computer since making that change the noises have stopped! (I wasn’t too worried about the noise-to my ears it sounded like the fans starting and speeding up, rather than any hard drive noise, but I could be wrong).

Apart from the above, the Advanced Boot Options refer to Maximum Memory. What value should I enter for that? At the moment the value show is 0. I have 4GB of memory, although Windows only recognises 3.25GB. (I did try to alter the value to 4096, but when I restarted and checked msconfig the value was shown as 0 again).

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Thanks
    Unfortunately, the 32 Bit OS cannot access the full 4 GB of RAM. 3.25 GB is about right. As far as the Max Memory listed, when I check the box it shows my 8 GB until I OK out then go back in which case it is once again 0 so I suspect this is working correctly in your case as well. I have never heard of the number of cores causing the noise you are experiencing, but it does not hurt to have the 2 listed on a duo core processor and some think it actually helps speed things up. I can neither prove nor disprove this.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-12)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    The settings about the number of CPUs and RAM are used for debugging purposes. There are a few steps at the beginning of the boot process that will not be helped by multiple CPUs so Windows only uses one. THIS IS VERY EARLY IN THE PROCESS. Then Windows uses all the process it can access for the remainder of the boot process and subsequent user session.

Each bit architecture of Windows has limits on the amount of RAM it can address. As Ted posted, 32-bit Windows can not address the full 4 GB of RAM. 64-bit versions of Windows can address much more RAM. The amount is dependent on the particular Windows SKU and the motherboard/BIOS of the PC. Once again, limiting the RAM through MSCONFIG should only be used for debugging purposes. Under normal circumstances Windows will automatically use all the RAM it can.

Joe

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JoeP517 For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-13)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Joe and thanks for the advice. Should I put the Advanced Boot Options back as they were originally?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Roy,
    Hello....Also check this setting and make sure thing's haven't changed... Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-13)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, the setings had been changed and I have amended them to mirror yours.

Best regards,Roy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hello Joe and thanks for the advice. Should I put the Advanced Boot Options back as they were originally?

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    I would. I've never run across a reason to change the default settings.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Please advise.

Thanks and regards,Roy
    I would set both of them back to the default "0" so windows will control the CPU cores and memory.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-13)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, the setings had been changed and I have amended them to mirror yours.

Best regards,Roy
    Roy,
    Just keep in mind that i have mine set so Windows does not do the same for all of my drives...I have some that are 64 bit OS's so i don't have the "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives"( have my 7 \ 64 with no page file..8 GB RAM) . If you only have one OS ....you can keep that checked . I removed the others (HD's) from my screen shot for clarity...Regards Fred
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-13 at 11:51.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Just Plain Fred For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-13)