4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook to show/modify Access Data (Off 2k / W2K)

Has anyone used Outlook to display/modify Access data? Sales crew needs off line access to contact data that's currently in Access DB.

Thanks,
    Mark Santos

Thanks

Re: Outlook to show/modify Access Data (Off 2k / W2K)

Can you explain the scenario in more detail? How are sales people going to access this information - remotely (dial-in or Internet) or from a local database? For performance reasons, the better answer is local, unless you set up the database on a web server. Do they really need the information in Outlook, or do they just need to be able to search for a record in the database and create a new message?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response. The sales people will access the data via a dial up connection. I guess Outlook is out of the question for this operation. All of the sales crew have Access on their PC so just doing it in Access or via a web page sounds like the best solution. One thing I need to do is figure out how to sync their data so that they can use it offline. I plan on stamping their contact records with an employee number. Then all that needs to be sync'd to their PC is their own records. I read a little bit about replication / partial replication. Does this sound like a good solution or should I consider something else?

Thanks,
    Mark Santos

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If Access is what you have to use then replication is what you'd use. In my experience it's not very sophisticated about reconciling differences between database instances. But if the users do not make changes to both databases between a replication cycle then they should be ok.