New Lounger
    Thanks

System Image now wants to include non boot drive

I have a C: (boot) drive which contains all programs and Windows 7 x 64 and a D: (data) drive which contains ONLY used data files (My Documents). Previously I could create a system image and exclude the d: drive from the image. Now Windows insists on including that drive which means the image no longer fits on my external drive. What has Changed? How can I go back to my previous ability to image just the C: (boot) drive?

TIA
    Robb

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Robb,

Welcome to the lounge as a poster. Always good to have new blood.

I assume you're using the Windows Disk Imaging program?. If so you should see this when you select disk imaging and you should be able to uncheck the disks {as in example} other than C:. Is this what you are seeing?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    Robb, Welcome to the Lounge. It's always nice to see a new member.

I have seen more problems with the Win 7 Imaging app. It works well enough for some but not for others. Why not try some of the excellent 3rd party apps discussed in the Security and Backups Forum. Several paid for and free apps are discussed.

Acronis True Image Home (I use version 2010 and 2011, have not tried 2012) Macrium Reflect (both free and paid), EaseUS ToDo v4, Terra Byte to name a few. Take a gander and read some of the discussions and see how well these 3rd party apps blow the socks of the Win 7 app IMHO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    If you have relocated certain folders from the main drive to another drive, the built in Windows backup and restore will want to image them too.
    I don't believe there is a way to get around this as the option to remove the partition will be grayed out.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the response...

That is what I am seeing. I have imaged this system a number of times previously and it seems that I was asked which drives I wanted to EXCLUDE from the image. I may be mistaken on that point... but I AM certain that I was able to just image the C: (64GB ssd system drive) and leave out the D: (1 TB raid striped = 2-500 GB data drives). I am imaging to a 120GB usb external and I have a previous image there now. Obviously this C + D image would not fit on that device.

Something has changed and it is not the use or folder allocations on the drives. User->Documents has pointed to this D: drive since I built the system.

Thanks for the help.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Ted for the pointers. I would prefer to use the built in windows tools for now if possible. They have worked perfectly on previous occasions on this machine (including 2 Restore from image incidents). I am attempting to create a new image now because I updated some software and installed 2 new apps.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rcmcdee View Post
    Thanks for the response...

That is what I am seeing. I have imaged this system a number of times previously and it seems that I was asked which drives I wanted to EXCLUDE from the image. I may be mistaken on that point... but I AM certain that I was able to just image the C: (64GB ssd system drive) and leave out the D: (1 TB raid striped = 2-500 GB data drives). I am imaging to a 120GB usb external and I have a previous image there now. Obviously this C + D image would not fit on that device.

Something has changed and it is not the use or folder allocations on the drives. User->Documents has pointed to this D: drive since I built the system.

Thanks for the help.
    Yes, and I'm thinking that at some point since there has been a WU that has caused this.
    This is one of the reasons, among others, why I have switched to Macrium.