This user has been banned
    Thanks

Question MS Update KB2656351 not installing

Hi,

Noob, here.......was wondering if I could get any advice about MS Update KB2656351 for XP.

I received it as an Automatic update from the MS Update site. It seems to be in a state of not installing,
    and continual download. The yellow shield icon is always in my sytem tray, and it ALWAYS installs the same update, KB2656351. It's a security update for .NET Framework 4, for Client Profile, and Extended.

I checked my update log from the MS Update site, and so far, I've succesfully downloaded and installed the same update 5 times now.

When I turn off my PC, I get a message that 'Important updates are being installed, and the system will shut down when completed'. The system shuts down, and when I turn on, the same update is in the system tray, ready to be installed.

I noticed on the net that KB2656351 is also a problem update for Win 7 X64, and seems to be a problem due to untrusted certificate verification. I'm not sure if it's the same problem on XP, but it's p***ing me off, BIG time.

So far, I've tried :

Deleting all MS Certificates, and downloading and installing the current update for XP Root Certificates.....no joy.

Uninstalling KB2656351 from my PC.....no joy, as it won't uninstall due to install log not being found.

Running a complete sytem scan for Malware/Virus with Security Essentials, and Defender Offline....totally clean.

Shouting at my PC and cursing Microsoft......while this did nothing for the update, it made me feel a whole lot better.

I take my PC security seriously, and I'm not too happy that important security updates are'nt being installed due to forces beyond my control.

But it does'nt drive half as mad as the yellow shield update icon permanently in my system tray. I click it to install, it installs, and 20 seconds later, the shield icon is back to install the same update.

How do I cancel/fix this update?

Any help and advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks,

Hammerhead

ps: I'm using XP, SP3.

pps: Sorry if I've posted in an inappropriate place....I am the noob.

ppps: Thanks for the Defender Offline tip in the Newsletter...nice one !!!

Thanks
    Click on "Start"; "Control Panel";
    "Programs";
    "Programs and Features";
    Find "Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile" from the list and left click on it;
    Left click on the "Uninstall/Change" button above;
    Select "Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to its original state" and then click on "next";

Once that's done (and after the computer rebooted) I then went back to Windows Update and clicked to install the annoying .NET file and after a pause, it actually installed correctly.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

3. The Following User Says Thank You to chowur For This Useful Post:

Hammerhead (2012-01-17)

This user has been banned
    Thanks
    Hi, Chowur,

That done the job nicely !!!

Many thanks, I owe you one,

Dave

Thanks
    Glad things work out for the best.Happy Surfing.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

New Lounger
    Thanks

Constant re-install of KB2656351 and KB2600217 on Windows 7 64Bit

Hi, I have the same issue with KB2656351 and KB2600217 on Windows 7 64Bit. I have tried the uninstall and reinstal and it has not fixed the problem. Unfortunately, I cannot find the "Repair .NET Framework 4 Client Profile to its original state" option so I seek some assistance.

Happy to have some suggestions as this is a big pain in the rear for me.

Thanks in advance

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    brenmei, you had already posted in the proper forum (Windows 7). Please do not double post.