New Lounger
    Thanks

Changing wireless channel

I just finished reading Fred Langa’s article about the Android Wi-Fi Analyzer app. I installed it on my phone and it shows that there are other channels that are stronger than the one I am using. I have a Linksys E4200 wireless router. It is presently set up to select channels automatically. It would seem that it would be beneficial for me to select one of the stronger channels. I am very much a newbie fooling around with network issues.
    1. I cannot figure out the correspondence between the channel numbers shown by the Wi-Fi Analyzer and the frequency ranges of the router channels.
    2. How can I tell which frequency I am using, 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz?
    3. If I change the channel from my machine, will the rest of the network follow ok?
    George

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    George,

I also installed the program and love it. As far as which frequency you are using that depends on your computer's NIC. If you have a NIC that supports 802.11n then your NIC can use both frequencies. If your NIC only supports 802.11g then you're only able to use the 2.4GHz band. I knew a neighbor was also using wireless but didn't know which channel. The analyzer clearly showed that we were both using channel 6 so I switched my Linksys {G Only} router to channel 11. Haven't really noticed any difference since both my wife's and my laptops are usually very close to the router. Sorry but I can't give you any advice on 802.11n since my router doesn't support it.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

VBA Rules!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    George, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster. Please come back often.

The Linksys 4200 automatically uses both 2.4 Ghz and 5 GHz bands simultaneously and automatically selects the strongest signals, at least mine does. This is a high end router from Cisco. You should not need to do anything with it. Let the router do it's job and be thankful you bought this fantastic piece of hardware.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    GeoSully; To easily way to tell the difference between the 2.4 and 5GHz bands is to name them slightly different. I simply added a 5 to the end of the name for my 5GHz band. Also, while using the app go to the Channels screen (should have 2 stars) 2.4GHz band will have channels 1-14 (2412-2484MHz) and the 5GHz band will have channels 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, 161 (5180-5805 MHz). If you move the decimal 3 places left you get your GHz.

Cisco recommends splitting devices between the bands to avoid over traffic on one of the bands. A lot of devices with only be able to use the 2.4GHz but newer devices will be able to use either (as stated above). I have all of my media devices on the 5GHz, and smartphones, computers and the guest on the 2.4GHz.

Now for my question. I also use a WiFi analyzer and it shows that channel 14 is the strongest on my 2.4GHz band, but I can only select 1-11. Does anyone know how I Can select a higher channel?

Thanks,

Todd