Thanks

Is this IMAP or POP??

I'm a bit confused -- well, often I'm a good deal more than just a bit confused, but let's not get into that right now...

When I set up my Outlook e-mail accounts, I set up one as a POP, and several others as IMAP.

But I found sub folders of my Inbox that are showing as IMAP folders. Can a POP data file have IMAP folders as well? If not, why is this showing this way? If yes you can, who or how is the determination made as to which type it is going to be?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Would love to know the answers too.... I have only ever dealt with POP mailboxes, and IMAP is a whole new ballgame to me........

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Pop mail downloads everything to the mail client and then deletes of the server.

IMAP downloads headers only then mail body when selected and keeps data on mail server for periods selected before deleting.

Extra folders in Outlook when using IMAP are fine and should be left as is.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Are they then separate folders for IMAP and POP?

I have several pop mail accounts that download to the same Inbox at the moment. I was wanting to find out if I could change one to an IMAP Account and still have all mail come in the same way? How would that work?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Go to Accounts in Outlook and where you have server details probably just a drop down box to change from POP3 to IMAP. Likely will be additional setting to say how long to save on server for etc.

Be careful with IMAP, it can very quickly build up a large amount of email data on the server requiring a lot of space.

Thanks
    It's just strange because when I look it says it's POP_, but there are folders that present as IMAP!
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"