3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Confused about some basic backup ideas (EaseUS)

I recently got EASE US TODO Backup 3.0.

My system OS is W7 Home 64 bit.

I am confused a bit on backups.

I recently chose the System BU option and it seemed to work. It was saved on an external HD.

More recently, I tried it again and it seemed to object, saying there was already a system bu

already there. So, I changed the name of the first system bu and then I was able to put this second system bu on my HD. So, two questions on this:

1. Is there a problem doing this?
    2. Is this the same as what is known as an Image BU. In other words, if a disaster strikes I could use this BU to be up and running in say less than an hour?
    3. I then tried to do a file BU for my entire C drive but it kept specifying the DESTINATION spot as being on my C drive. I want to back up all my files from my C drive to my external HD. Do I just change the destination? Why would the default BU location be on the C drive (C:\Users\etc.). I figured I would BU all my files the first time and then just do incremental Bus.

Mel

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Mel,

1. Is there a problem doing this?
    2. Is this the same as what is known as an Image BU. In other words, if a disaster strikes I could use this BU to be up and running in say less than an hour?
    3. I then tried to do a file BU for my entire C drive but it kept specifying the DESTINATION spot as being on my C drive. I want to back up all my files from my C drive to my external HD. Do I just change the destination? Why would the default BU location be on the C drive (C:\Users\etc.). I figured I would BU all my files the first time and then just do incremental Bus.

1. No problem; you've discovered that System BU makes only one copy.
    2. It's an image BU, but ONLY of your OS (and perhaps System Reserved) partition(s)
    3.Yes, just change the Destination

It's better to do a disk Image BU of your entire HD, rather than a System BU, as the latter is a quick-and-dirty dumbed-down approach to imaging ONLY your system partition. Or, you could do an image BU of everything but your data files, then do a data BU of those. Remember, an incremental chain is only as stong as its weakest link, so ONLY diong incremental backups is a bad idea; you should periodically do full backups. Many of these ideas are further flesed out in the EaseUS Todo Backup Forums.

P.S. You should upgrade to v.4.0.

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

still confused

Zig:

I think then what I wanted was a complete image. In other words, in a pinch, I could restore my computer to exactly the way it was before the problem occurred (ie: to what it was when I performed the b/u).

How do I create an image of my entire HD. I must be missing some menu item on this software.

Mel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Compiler,

Select data backup, then disk/partition backup, then select the whole disk or individual partitions you wish to backup.
    Note that if 2 or more partitions are selected to RESTORE later on, ALL original partitions on the disk will be lost - so, either restore the partitions one at a time, or restore them all at once.

Zig

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig:

Actually, looking at the program again (I just d/l 4.0), I see one of the main menu choices is CLONE. Wouldn't this be the way to do the image?

Mel (still confused!)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Mel,

Clone is ONLY used if you're physically going to replace one drive with another. If you plan to restore a damaged drive from an external backup disk, don't use it.

Zig
    Last edited by Zig; 2012-01-15 at 23:30.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig:

So the disk/partition B/U actually does do an image (as opposed to just copying files)?

I am still trying to get the terminology down

Mel

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    the disk/partition B/U actually does do an image (as opposed to just copying files)
    Correct.

Zig

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your help

mel

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig.....why update to 4.0, 3.0 seems to work fine on my home Win7 machine? Thnx

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    G'day, Bill,

why update to 4.0,
    Several bugs fixed & a new user interface (some like it, some don't); basically, just a little more mature. The updating process will copy over all of your defined backup plans & settings (whether they're active or not). Only thing you lose is the listing of completed backups and success/error messages from before(the backups aren't gone, though). You COULD back everything up with v.3.5, install v.4.0; then,if you don't like 4, use it to restore your system to the way it was when running 3. The price is certainly right.

Zig

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Zig...good input, I'll ruminate a bit. Cheers......

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hum well until I got my SSD I used to have two Seagate 1TB drives in my machine an regularly cloned one to the other ie A > B then B > A when I had filled the one in use with material after say couple of months. That way I had an instant backup via the disconnected drive if the whole machine crashed including the in use drive or I built another machine then it's just a matter of flipping in the cloned drive/s. Now I found that so much easier than mucking around with backups.
    Now I know some will say yes but you loose some material but heck whats worse losing the lot or having some semblance of what you had going, and just catching up a bit??