New Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 Professional Activation

I am late arriving on the Windows 7 Professional scene, and would like clarification of when activation is checked and when it fails. I read Fred Langa's article many times and still have these questions.

Are hardware changes cumulative, or does the saved configuration get periodically updated? If I clone to and install a larger capacity primary hard drive and a month or two later install an additional DVD burner, does Windows 7 Professional consider that two changes against me toward labeling my installation invalid?

When does the checking for authenticity take place? I read one place that the system is checked on each boot. Another place told about not checking for 30 days. Will I know almost immediately after boot that my system passed/failed validation, or will I be doing something very important to me, and out of the blue, get plastered because of some change I made to the system almost a month ago?

Does the validity check really completely disreguard software changes? If I take over another family member's computer and uninstall several programs, install several others, renovate the Desktop and change the toolbar/search engine configuration in Internet Explorer, is it probable that those changes will put me in harm's way as far as failing the validity check?

Lastly, is the validity/authenticity check in Windows 7 Professional the same animal as the Windows Genuine Advantage check in my Windows XP machines?

Thanks in advance for informed answers to these burning questions.

Thanks
    Hi UncleTime,

if your activated, any changes made won't affect it. If on the other hand, you change any hardware when using an OEM copy then do a clean install, you will still be allowed to activate as normal when on-line, or if you tend to do it too often, you will have to free phone Microsoft to get activated.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    You will find that Win 7 and indeed MS is very easy to work with in most cases. In the most severe case of moving to a completely new system (say your original system was fried) you may have to phone MS and explain the situation and they will assist you with the reactivation. Generally you would have to make a major system change, like a motherboard and other necessary components (MB's usually require others components to be changed as well, cpu's ram, etc) to make the hardware change flag get set. For example, I recently changed (doubled) my RAM in my laptop. Win 7 did not even hiccup. I could change my HD and take a system Image and transfer my whole system to the new HD and not have a problem either. The biggest problem you have in most cases is that the drivers you presently have are not appropriate for the new system, not with the OS it self.

Your system is generally not checked for validity for security updates but is checked for non-security updates as non-security updates are considered user optional updates and only valid Win 7 systems are allowed to get user optional updates. (I hope this is understandable)

I add and remove software almost daily, and create Images and subsequently restore Images almost weekly with no affect whatso ever on my authentication. Has no affect at all. I have added dual boot for XP/Win 7, removed XP, added dual boot for Linux, removed Linux, Dual booted Vista/Win 7, Removed Vista, and now Dual boot Win 7/Win 8 DP and have never once cause a problem with my authentication of Win 7 or any of the other OS's (All these changes and adding/removing apps is why I create/restore Images so often. I am constantly "playing" with my laptop) None of the above has ever done anything to my authentication.

I can not absolutely state this is the same as the genuine thing with Win XP. MS is constantly upgrading their capabilities to combat piracy.

I hope this helps to alleviate any fears you have.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It took me a while to add to this thread, because, after reading your replies, I ordered the equipment that was causing my concern. And, thank you for your replies.

I installed a StarTech PCI IDE adapter card to give me more capability to attach PATA devices.
    I installed a Kingwin IDE Mobile Rack.

I can now use several PATA hard drives in the internal mobile rack as if they were native, with the one exception, I cannot boot from a drive in the mobile rack. No loss of joy there, because I didn't want to boot from the mobile rack anyway.

Do I hear you asking why I want my system configured thusly? It is bcause I regularly use Ghost 2003 from DOS to back up my system. I make frequent and drastic changes to my installed software, and this gives me the capability to quickly and surely revert to a previous configuration, so my system doesn't know I made the temporary changes.

So far, after implementing these changes, I have experienced no problems with Windows 7 Activation.

Thanks again for your replies.
    Last edited by UncleTime; 2012-01-29 at 18:09. Reason: corrected spelling thiis

Thanks
    From: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions

Will I ever need to activate Windows on my computer again?

Maybe. You might have to activate Windows again if:
    • You make a significant hardware change to your computer, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time. If a major hardware change requires activating Windows again, you'll be notified and will have three days to activateWindows.
    • You reinstall Windows. In this case, you’ll have 30 days to activate Windows again.
    If you have to activate Windows again on the same computer, you don't need to buy a new product key. For more information, see Activate Windows 7 on this computer.