Star Lounger
    Thanks

Envelope Print Margins

Now and then, when adding an envelope to a Word (97, sr2) document using the Tools|Envelopes command, when printing, I get a "Margins of section 1 set outside printable area. Do you want to continue?" message. If I click OK, I get a blank envelope printed. Either way, when I do it again on the same document, it works fine. I have an Alt-Shift-E macro which initiates this process for my users. It used to contain VBA text to accomplish the process, but it ALWAYS gave the above results. When I modified it to simply send the appropriate menu keystrokes (Alt, T, E) then it worked properly (sometimes). This seems to be printer-driver dependent, as I can recreate the problem with one printer driver, and not get it with another, on the same document. Any idea of what causes this, and how to change the printable area of an envelope.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Envelope Print Margins

I may get beat up for this, but I NEVER use Word's envelope tool. I find it too limited, or you've got to sell your soul to make a change. I make my own envelope template. Then, you can create a button or add it to a macro or anything you want.[img]/w3timages/icons/thinks.gif[/img]

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Envelope Print Margins

The envelope size is set up on each machine (or user depending on if you are using roaming profiles). It is an option in the Envelopes and Labels window.

The problem may be that the users who are having problems with it have never printed an envelope and therefore the envelope definition is set to some inappropriate size.

If the envelope is always the same size you could try recording a macro to set this, however I suspect this may not work with different printer drivers. After recording the macro you should edit it. A careful examination at this time will show you what the macro is doing. Generally macros like this do much more than you need and you can delete a lot of the options they set.
    David Grugeon
    Brisbane Australia