New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro removed (supposedly) Home Edition installed; won't update

I am helping a friend who got a tower a couple years ago from friends. They had XP Professional on, but supposedly removed it and she has XP Home Edition, version 2 SP3. In the add/remove software list, XP Professional shows up on the list (not XP Home Edition) and showing last used before she got the computer (which shows me it is not being used now). I am wondering why XP Home Edition is not in her list of software. The presence of XP Professional is causing a problem with Windows Security Updates. It will not update Office XP SP 3. It gets an error message saying to install the XP Pro Edition install CD (which she does not have). We are confused as to what to do. I don't know if I remove XP Prof from the software list, will that harm the XP Home edition? And why isn't XP Home edition showing up on the list? And is the XP SP 3 Windows updates is trying to install for the Pro version or Home version? If it says on her Comp Properties she has Home Edition v2 with SP3, she already has it, yes?
    Also, her computer runs a bit slow opening pages on the internet. She has 2.8 CPU with 512 RAM. Does she need more RAM? She has barely anything on this computer, just Microsoft Suite of stuff and that is about it.
    Thank you in advance for your help.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 1,071 Posts
    Hi,

Welcome to the Lounge,

Isn't the reference Windows Update is making, about Office XP Professional and not Windows XP Professional? The Windows version does not show up in the add / remove software list. So, I would say that most likely Windows Update is stating that the Office disc is needed for the update.

Regarding internet browsing slowness, there can be many causes. If she can add further RAM, that will always help speeding up things, generally, but it's hard to say if it is the cause here.
    Last edited by ruirib; 2012-01-16 at 20:28.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It says Office XP SP 3 not installed, but I am forgetting which disk it says to install to correct the situation, I think it said Windows XP Professional.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bnewcol View Post
    It says Office XP SP 3 not installed, but I am forgetting which disk it says to install to correct the situation, I think it said Windows XP Professional.
    I think you are mixing Windows XP SP3 with Office XP SP 3. I could bet the Windows Update requests are related to Office XP.

This page explains why, actually: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en....aspx?id=23334

If you want to avoid the need for the Office Xp CD, download the full install file from the same link. Just download the full install file, run it and Office will be updated. You can then run Windows Update again and you no longer will be offered the Office XP SP3 update.

Thanks
    I agree with Rui, the Windows OS does not show up in the Add/Remove list, so that reference must be to Office XP. The CPU seems fast enough, but the RAM is pretty marginal. I would also clean out the temp files including temp internet files. Clean the temp internet files with Internet Explorer. Use disk clean up and clean out all the temp files you can. Without getting too involved (sounds like PC knowledge may be somewhat limited) see if these clean up procedures help any. You can also try the disk defragmentor. I would think her disk is pretty fragmented.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, thank you both for the very helpful info. I did empty her temporary internet files and did defrag it, so hoping that helps! I will also do the full install of the SP 3 (and hopefully it won't ask for a CD insert). I think I was mixing up Windows XP Home Edition OS and Windows Office Pro XP software. Oy. And I think maybe we'll get her some more RAM. Thank you again.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You're welcome.

New Lounger
    Thanks

download did not work

Hi all
    I did the stand alone download for Office SP3, full version, it did not work, it still said we had to install the disk. Any other ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    The full package is said not to required the original disk. If it's not like that, I am sorry, but don't know what else to suggest, other than you see if your friend can find the original Office CD or have someone who she can borrow it from.