4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Problem with computer time.

Recently (last couple of days), my computer has been gaining time, approximately 1 minute per hour. Attempts to re-synch the time over the internet (using both the Windows internet time synch feature, and an independent app) have failed most of the time.
    I recognize that a failing CMOS battery will cause the computer clock to lose time, but can it also cause the clock to gain time? The battery is old enough (several years) that failure is to be expected any time now, but are my symptoms indicative of battery failure? The computer is functioning properly in all other respects.

Any help would be welcome.

Thanks
    Does this happen when you reboot?Or do you keep your computer on?CMOS,battery are pretty cheap in any event.So I would have to say replace it.
    Go to your Clock at the bottom right hand corner and double click it open. Go to the Internet Time (Tab) and copy and paste utcnist.colorado.edu in to the Window. Click APPLY and then click OK . Reopen the Internet Time (tab) and make sure the colorado address is showing. Then try to Sync. it. If the colorado one doesn't work, try one of the following (below).

======================================…
    Server Address & Location

time-a.nist.gov NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland
    time-b.nist.gov NIST, Gaithersburg, Maryland
    time-a.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov NIST, Boulder, Colorado
    time-b.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov NIST, Boulder, Colorado
    time-c.timefreq.bldrdoc.gov NIST, Boulder, Colorado
    utcnist.colorado.edu University of Colorado, Boulder time.nist.gov NCAR, Boulder, Colorado
    time-nw.nist.gov Microsoft, Redmond, Washington nist1.datum.com Datum, San Jose, California
    nist1.dc.glassey.com Abovenet, Virginia nist1.ny.glassey.com Abovenet, New York City
    nist1.sj.glassey.com Abovenet, San Jose, California
    nist1.aol-ca.truetime.com TrueTime, AOL facility, Sunnyvale, nist1.aol-va.truetime.com TrueTime, AOL facility, Virginia
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    ... or just use us.pool.ntp.org !
    (Having changed the CMOS battery...)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for replying, chowur.
    The computer seems to synch OK on reboot, but then seems to drift higher the longer it runs. When I attempt a manual re-synch, I only succeed about 10% of the time, with either site. I use time.windows.com in the Windows internet time tab, and time.nist.gov in Automachron (the time synch app that I usually use), but thanks for the list of other sites.
    I'll probably change the battery anyway, as you suggested, since it's about due.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    ...and thanks to you, too, BATcher.
    I tried a couple of the other sites, with the same results. I'm pretty sure that they're not the problem.