Star Lounger
    Thanks

Backup image not recognized as a image

I recently bought a 4TB USB drive, so that I can make some image backups of my system. I have an image backup program, but when booting from a rescue disk, the output of this is not recognised as an image. That was when I discovered that Win 7 has a program built-in! As the guys on Top Gear say, how hard can it be???

When I try to create a backup image, the program runs for a few minutes and then fails with the following:

I have spent ages perusing microsoft's systems, looking for anything which will help. I *did* find a message saying that it was a fault in the program, and it would not write to drives bigger than 2 TB. The message gives directions for a work-around for WD disks, but mine is a Seagate.

I have a 1-year-old PC with Win 7 64-bit, and plenty of memory, hard drive space, and everything else. Why on Earth would a 64-bit version of windows not be able to write to a larger disk drive??? The shelf at BestBuy was full of 3TB drives when I bought mine, so this must be a problem that people know about... Surely????

I throw myself on the wisdom of the group!

Phil.
    Last edited by Deadeye81; 2012-01-17 at 03:24. Reason: Prepared for new thread

Thanks
    Hello Phil,

What was the specific error message you received?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloke View Post
    I recently bought a 4TB USB drive, so that I can make some image backups of my system. The message gives directions for a work-around for WD disks, but mine is a Seagate.

Phil,
    Hello.... It's the program... Most Imaging programs that I'm familiar with have an outside limit (around 2 TB) on the size of the drives that they can "write" to.. The make of the hard drive doesn't matter WD, Seagate, Hitachi, etc. The work around is to split up the hard drive into several partitions. and then "Image" to them. Not really a big deal to do this ...Post back if you need help with partitioning. Regards Fred

PS: Make sure that you format the new drive partitions NTFS.
    Last edited by Just Plain Fred; 2012-01-17 at 04:27.
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Use a partitioning app such as Partition Wizard (free) to partition the 4 TB drive into 2 or 3 partitions and you should have no problems. My 1TB HD can hold dozens of Images so I suspect your 4TB will hold 40 or 50, maybe more depending on the size of your images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    But some programs (EaseUS is one) can't use >2TB drives as the SOURCE drives, no matter the size of the partitions.

Zig

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's been a long time - I had forgotten about this thread...

I did try partitioning the drive, but that made no difference.

I eventually got a hold of 'Image for Windows', which I believe I saw advertised on the list here. It does write to the large drive, but with a few quirks:

If you run the actual "Image for Windows" program, it fails. I can't remember the error message, but it was consistent. When I contacted their tech support, eventually I was told that you had to boot to either DOS or Linux (programs for both are provided) and run the backup from there. Nobody could tell me what the purpose of the windows version was, if it didn't work.

The DOS program will not recognise a USB 3 connection. They say it is something to do with licensing. I had to either swap my drive to a USB 2 port, or run the Linux program.

They upgrade these programs constantly, and it is a major hassle trying to keep up! Between 2.78 and 2.79 *something* changed. The old version works every time - or *says* that it did. The new one fails every time, consistently. The best I could get out of tech support was they suspected a memory problem - funny how tech support people always blame the user's equipment. I am in the process of upgrading the memory (should arrive today), as otherwise they just aren't prepared to help. Just yesterday, they released yet another new version, 2.8. I have no idea what has changed, or whether it is worth installing all the programs, creating new boot CDs, etc.

Given the change in behaviour between the 2 previous versions, I am not sure if my existing backups are 'good' or not. They said that the programs use "different memory", but if my RAM is so bad, how come I don't have problems with any other programs? So, the burning question is, does the new version detect a problem, or does the old version just not recognise it and keep going. Given that the only way to test it is to attempt to reload the image, this makes me nervous. By doing that, if it fails to restore I would be up the well-known creek with no paddle.

So, at least this program will access the 4TB drive - I'm just not certain that my backups on there are any good!

Phil.