2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE8 & IE9 Favorites folders often don't work

Hi,

My pet IE annoyance.

I use IE8 and IE9 on different machines, and on both I regularly find that when I select the Favorites menu, I cannot select any Folders which I have setup under Favorites. I used to double click on the Folder and eventually I would get a Windows Explorer window with the entries in the folder, from which I could proceed.

However I subsequently found that if I closed the Tab and reopened it everything, namely all the menus, worked fine. It seemed that IE was somehow somewhat corrupted in relation to Folders under Favorites.

Anyone with similar problems, and any suggestions for solutions?

Regards,

Peter Moran

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Are you talking about this:

Favorites.jpg

Or are you talking about this:

Favorites2.jpg

Not quite sure what you are refering to, sorry.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted,

Thanks for the reply.

I am talking about the second picture you displayed.

The first column under Favorites is always displayed when Favorites is clicked!

However some of the entries under Favorites are like some of yours - Folders.

There are frequently situations where clicking on a Folder under Favorites does nothing, although the entries which are not Folders always work.

To get these Folders to open when clicked on I have to close the Tab I was using, and open a new Tab, or go to another Tab.

Once I open a new Tab all the Favorites Folders work as desired!

Regards,

Peter Moran

Thanks
    That is strange, but I almost never go to favorites in that manner. I either already have my browser open and use the manner shown in my first screen shot or I have Favorites on my Start Orb (right side) If you Right Click the Start Orb, choose Properties, Start Menu, Customize, you can choose what items to include on thr right side of the Start Orb, and how to show then. For example, here is how mine is shown:

StartOrbFavorites.jpg

If you choose to display as a menu you get the drop down arrow rather than the open a window option, which I find easier to use for many things such as Control Panel, Favorites, Documents and so forth.

I did not shown everything just to make the screen shot smaller, but you get the picture. I find this much more convienient than going into Windows Explorer to open my Favorites. I hope this helps with your problem.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-18 at 04:38.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by petermoran View Post
    I am talking about the second picture you displayed. ...

To get these Folders to open when clicked on I have to close the Tab I was using, and open a new Tab, or go to another Tab.
    But that's Windows Explorer .......... which doesn't have tabs.

Thanks
    I guess I'm still not sure exactly what the OP is talking about either. Peter can you post a screen shot so we can better understand your problem. As Bruce states Windows Explorer does not have tabs. I missed that initially in your post.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Bruce and Ted,

I would love to give you a picture, but the Windows Snipping Tool on this Vista machine does not allow me to copy a screen showing the Favorites drop down menu. The menu disappears as soon as I press a key to initiate the Snipping. Please advise how I can get a screen picture of the menus.

Bruce, I think you have misunderstood my reference to Windows Explorer. If in IE you double click on any Folder in the Favorites drop down you get a normal Windows Explorer window showing all the entries (urls) in that folder. If you double click a URL in Windows Explorer, IE opens at that URL.

The reference to the Tab is an IE Tab - In IE I may have 4 Tabs in use, and I find that when I use Favorites and select a Folder in my Favorites menu drop down in IE sometimes nothing happens - the Folder is not opened to provide its drop down list of URLs. However If I close the IE Tab, and then open a new IE Tab, and then select the same Folder, it operates as per normal. Possibly some kind of corruption in the Tab Management?

Thanks for your time, and hopefully this may clarify a little.

Regards,

Peter Moran

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    So if it's from the IE Favorites menu drop down that sometimes nothing happens, that would be like Ted's first picture not second, right?

IE won't open empty folders from there; is that a possibility?

Bruce
    Last edited by BruceR; 2012-01-19 at 09:33.

Thanks
    Also use Prt Sc button, then paste into Paint. Crop as necessary, save to desktop. Use this to attach a screen shot.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted