New Lounger
    Thanks

switching stata hdd to master

I have 2 hdd already installed,one hdd is a samsung 500gb sata and the other quatum 40gb ide which is the master hdd i want to make the stata 500gb master and the ide being the smaller in capcity the slave, I have changed the pin in the ide to slave but still the ide boots as master and I have changed the bios still boots as the ide master, any help would be appreciated. My os is vista.

Thanks
    What brand is the motherboard?For further help.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    If the HDD is the only drive connected to the IDE cable it will automatically be master. Can only choose master/ slave when two HDD are connected to same IDE cable. Then the one connected to the last connector should be set as master.

The Sata drive if has the OS on it will be the primary boot disk and one of its partitions will be set as active to allow booting.
    If the IDE disk has the OS installed on it it will be the primary boot disk.
    To change your primary disk to the 500GB sata disk to be the one to boot will need to install your OS on the 500GB sata disk then reformat the IDE disk so it will be just a storage disk for Data etc. I would recommend using the sata disk as the OS disk as sata is faster than IDE and will speed up windows a bit. You could partition the 500 GB to have two partitions one at 100GB for the OS and the rest as storage if you prefer.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-18 at 04:43.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to curiousclive For This Useful Post:

paulinea (2012-02-11)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Chowur the motherboard is ACPI x86-based PC

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi curiousclive
    Thanks for your reply, I will do that but will have to back up both drives first so i don't loose my data already on them, and partitioning the sata is a good idea.
    thanks again