New Lounger
    Thanks

Outline numbering

I am a teacher at a private school and is struggling with creating new styles that contains outline numbering. I do understand the steps to create a new style and the steps to customise the outline numbering. What I need to do is the following:

1. xxx

2. xxx

3. xxx

The 1. 2. and 3. sets up perfectly but when I set it up the sub paragraph headings the 2.2 does not happen instead a 3.1 happens. I know that somewhere I am not choosing the correct thing but I just cannot figure it out. Please can someone help with step by step instructions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

Are you associating the outline numbering with built-in styles (like Heading 1, Heading 2 etc.) or are you using custom styles that you've created yourself?
    It's a little easier to associate outline numbering with styles if you use the built-in Heading styles, but either way, one key is to start modifying the outline numbering while your cursor is in a paragraph that has the style that will be Level 1 in your outline, applied to it.
    Then continue to link the other levels of your outline with the appropriate styles, while still working in the same dialog (i.e. link all the outline levels with styles, at the same time).

How you access the dialog to modify outline numbering (or 'multilevel lists' as they're called starting with Word 2007) differs depending on which version of Word you're using - let us know which version of Word you're using, and we can provide more detailed steps.

(by the way, I've moved this thread from the General Productivity forum to the Word Processing forum.)

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gary,

I need to teach my students to create their own styles, where outline numbering is included, according to the instructions given in the text book and the instructions was as per my previous post. We are working on Windows 2003.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi again,

Most of the steps required are explained really well in Shauna Kelly's instructions - these are a must-read.

The main thing you'll need to do differently from those instructions: she instructs you on how to use the built-in Heading styles and associate them with numbering.
    If you're going to associate numbering with your own custom styles, the first thing to do would be to create the set of styles you're going to use - let's say they will be called "Outline 1", "Outline2", "Outline 3" etc.)

When defining the properties of each of these styles, you can leave out any indentation settings you'll want these styles to have - the indentation will be set when you define the numbering properties.

Also, when setting up each style, from the Modify Style dialog, go to Format button > Paragraph, and in the Paragraph dialog set the Outline level as appropriate (i.e. set it to Level 1 for Outline 1, Level 2 for Outline 2 etc.

Once all the outline styles are created, then go to modify the Outline 1 style. Go to Format button > Numbering, and click on the Outline Numbered tab. Click on one of the list gallery previews from the top row, that most closely resembles the outline you plan to create. Don't click on the previews in the bottom row, because those are pre-set to be associated with the built-in Heading styles.

Click on the Customize button to view the Customize Outline Numbered List dialog. Click on the More button to expand the dialog.
    From here the instructions should be the same as on Shauna Kelly's page - the key is that you must link every outline numbering level to its related style, all at the same time from this dialog.

Gary

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Frieder For This Useful Post:

Marlvelous (2012-01-20)

Thanks
    Just to reiterate that Shauna Kelly's page is a must read - for you and your students - no matter what your textbook says. If you textbook says to do something else, your textbook is wrong. Your textbook may have been written by people who read Microsoft's materials on numbering. The methods Microsoft gave for doing numbering work, until you edit the document and move stuff around.

Microsoft's numbering system is prone to cause problems, especially in large and complex documents that are subject to a lot of editing. For more on this see John McGhie's article: Word's Numbering Explained. By meticulously following the steps outlined by Shauna Kelly you and your students can produce numbering systems that will not fray during use - producing what has been called "spaghetti numbering."

Another resource is Numbering in Microsoft Word. That is my edited version of the information from Microsoft.

Just to be clear, the headings that should be applied to get what you want are:

1. xxx (Heading 1)
    1.1 (Heading 2)

2. xxx (Heading 1)
    2.1 (Heading 2)
    2.2 (Heading 2)

3. xxx (Heading 1)
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Charles Kenyon For This Useful Post:

Marlvelous (2012-01-20)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlvelous View Post
    I need to teach my students to create their own styles, where outline numbering is included, according to the instructions given in the text book and the instructions was as per my previous post. We are working on Windows 2003.
    You can use the instructions Shauna gives to create a set of styles for outline numbering separate from the built-in heading styles. Using (and modifying) the built-in styles is generally preferred because they are triggers for tables of contents and the document map.

The styles need to be cascading - Style 2 based on Style 1, Style 3 based on Style 2, etc. The outlining for them must all be set up at the same time, starting with the topmost level. Even if you don't anticipate using them, you should set 9 levels because you can't add them later.

Once these styles are set up, you can save them in a template and use that template as the basis for new documents. So even though the process can be tedious, it does not need to be done every time you want numbered styles. I have a set of styles I set up for pleadings in 1998 in Word 97 that I am still using in Word 2010.

BTW, you note that you are using Windows 2003. Which version of Word are you using?
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin