New Lounger
    Thanks

Life with an SSD

I am starting to think about my next computer, and it's likely to have an SSD of around 64GB as a boot drive. I would welcome some thoughts and tips from anyone who has travelled this path.

I would like to split my installed programs between the SSD and the hard drive, installing on the SSD the apps I use most often (in my case development tools) and leaving the heavyweight, less used items like MS Office in a Program Files folder on the hard disk.

Apart from the program folders, what other aspects of SSD usage are important? Is it a good idea to keep temp folders of all types off the SSD, and use it more for things that do not change much? Where should the registry go?

As well as seeing any comments here, it would be good to have a Windows Secrets article to discuss best practice along with a checklist showing how to relocate Windows folders that may need to be moved off the boot drive. I am sure this will come up more frequently as SSDs become more widespread.

Incidentally 'SSD' is too short a string to search for in the forum, so if there are other topics relating to this issue, I would be grateful for pointers.

Thanks
    There have been several discussions in the hardware forum on SSd's, with very mixed results.

SSD Drive Questions

New Machine, SSD Problems

Could an SSD be your best upgrade

Hardware Review: OCZ
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-19 at 07:23.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

tfrost (2012-01-26)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OK, I reviewed those other threads and noticed that no one mentioned caching. Some of the newer Motherboards support the use of a SSD HD as a caching device.

IMO this would seem to be a better use of an SSD than using it as a boot/OS device and then having to manually juggle files/programs etc. to keep from filling the SSD. Perhaps it would be the 'best of both worlds'.

NOTE: I do not have an SSD on my system.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Well, manufacturers say there is enough longevity built into an SSD under normal use to last for 10 years or so, yet there seem to be a lot of stories of premature death, so I think in the end, one just has to decide to be a bit of a guinea pig and use one pretty much as a normal hard drive or, not to use one.
    I say that because the principle idea for getting an SSD is to speed up all the processes with which we interact most frequently in using a computer, so if one is not going to use it for that, why get one?

I harken back to my Grandmother's living room, where everything was covered in plastic, the sofa, the easy chair, the carpet! One could do anything in my Grandmother's living room, except spend any time there using it.

So I advocate either using an SSD, or not, but don't cover it with plastic.

Thanks
    Oh I remember those days as well. The living room I mean, and plastic seat covers for cars. Brings back nightmare memories of sticking to the furniture.

You just have to decide, is the possible gain enough to justify the extra cost and possible early demise. Read all you can about SSD's. both here and other places. I have found that typing something like "Review SSD Drives" in Google or your favorite search engine can bring forth a wealth of information.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Get at least a 120 GB SSD and ensure that it's NAND is synchronous, as opposed to asynchronous.
    Keep ALL of your installed programs on the SSD.
    Get as much fast (>1600) RAM as you can afford if you decide to go 64 bit. Eight to Twelve GB is plenty.
    Don't forget to ensure that that new SSD is set up to run in AHCI mode as opposed to IDE mode in BIOS.
    AHCI mode on the controller will give you a performance increase over IDE mode.
    (If your buying a new comp with an SSD this should be done by default, but one should always check to ensure that it is).

SSD Speed Tweaks
    Tweaking guide for optimizing Solid State Drive performance
    2010.02.11 09:13 by Philip

NAND Flash Faces Off - Synchronous vs. Asynchronous
    Author: Chris Ramseyer
    Editor: Kyle Bennett
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-01-20 at 10:00.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to CLiNT For This Useful Post:

tfrost (2012-01-26)