Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Switching from 32 bit to 64 bit version of Win 7 Pro

My OS is Win 7 Pro 32 bit with SP1 and all updates installed.

I have up to date image backups of all my drives.

I have genuine Win 7 Pro 32 and 64 bit installation disks, and a 32 bit Win 7 Pro disk with SP1 included, which I downloaded from Microsoft.

What is the best way to switch from 32 to 64 bits, and will I have to reinstall all my programs?

Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy

Thanks
    You have to clean install to switch from 32 Bit to 64 Bit. Your best bet is to download the 64 Bit version of the iso file, burn it to DVD and use it along with your original key and install over your 32 bit partition. You would have to re-install your apps as well.

As usual, make an Up To Date Image before doing this. Back up all your data (including your favs, docs, pics, music, contacts, etc.) I would put all this data onto a removable drive as well (I would use a flash drive as it will be easy to get it back once you have the 64 Bit OS set up)

This will also give you a pristine installation. Start your Imaging right away on this new OS and create new Images after you install your apps and customizations. This will give you a baseline installation and a customized baseline. Then remember to keep your Images Up to date.

Understand that after using the iso file with SP1 all updates since SP1 was released will have to be done manually using WU. You will most likely have to install IE 9 as well if that is your choice of browsers.

Have fun with this Roy.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-19)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 1,221 Posts
    The only way not to have to reinstall your apps, would be to use one of the paid versions of PC Mover, from Laplink. I did this when I moved from XP 32 bits to 7 64 bits. It worked very well for almost all my apps and saved me a huge reinstallation effort.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ruirib For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-19)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted and Rui and thanks for your input.

I think I will follow Ted's method, partly because I can't afford to buy any more programs at present, due to a temporary hiccup in payments from my pension providers.

Ted, I have some questions. Firstly, could you please give me the link for the 64 bit download of the iso file which includes SP1. (I tried searching the Microsoft download center, but got no results). Secondly, you say install over my 32 bit partition. Are you saying I do not need to format my C drive? (I realise this is probably a stupid question). Thirdly, I seem to remember you saying in another thread that it is best to install the 32 bit version of IE9, regardless of having a 64 bit OS, because most websites use 32 bits. If that's so, do you also have a link to download the standalone version of 32 bit IE9?

Finally, I attach a list of items on my existing C drive. Again, this is probably a stupid question but could you please confirm which items I should restore from my system image. (I can make educated guesses about most of them, and obviously would not restore the TDSSKiller items).

Ted,I hope I am not imposing too much and thank you in anticipation.

Best regards,Roy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Roy, no problems at all. I am glad to help. Answers in order as best as I can do.

Win 7 iso file download site Pick out the x64 version (Home Premium, Pro, Ultimate) you need based on your key version. You do need to use the same version the key is for.

You do not need to format. In fact the install will do the formating for you. I am not positive when changing bitness but in all the updates I have done in this manner when I did a custom install a folder is created in the C drive called windows.old which holds the old OS. If this is true when changing bitness as well you can open this folder to grab your data from the folder rather than using the data from your flash drive. Remember once you get everything from this folder that you want you should delete the folder as it's quite large. Use this approved method from MS.

When you install the 64 bit Win 7 you automatically get both 32 bit IE and 64 bit IE. Both are listed in All Programs. Actually many of us are using the 64 Bit much more often now since many of the add ons have beem updated for 64 Bit. IE 9 32 bit is the default browser in Win 7. Adobe Flash is now available in 64 Bit. When you install the 64 Bit version you get both. It should automatically see you have 64 Bit IE. Use this download site. (Uncheck the Google Toolbar)

I will have to post this then look at the zip file and modify. I'll edit when I can.

Edit: In looking at your list, most of these items will be recreated when you load the new OS. They are default Win 7 things. The TDSKiller is a security app I assume. I have never used it. ViperRescue is also something I am unfamiliar with.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-19 at 17:11.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

royw (2012-01-19)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, I can't thank you enough for all your help, which is greatly appreciated.

Best regards, Roy

Thanks
    Post back when you finish and let us know how your new and improved OS is working. Remember to do your Imaging regularly. This will save your bacon. I know it does mine. Choose a good security scheme and install it early on, before you go to WU to add the remaining Windows Updates. I do not remember what AV/AM app you use but I highly recommend MSE. You can read all about it in the security and backup forums along with many other excellent apps. Good luck and have fun!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted, yes I certainly will post back when I finish, and will continue to keep updated images. I agree MSE is excellent but will continue to use avast! internet security.

Regarding "saving your bacon" I have saved mine a couple of times with the ERUNT program, without having to use an image.

All the best,Roy

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted, I have not had a chance yet to start the installation procedure (life get's in the way sometimes) but a friend asked me whether the licence for Win 7 Pro 32 bit is also valid for the 64 bit version. I am 99% sure it is, but would appreciate confirmation.

Thanks and regards, Roy

Thanks
    If the key was a retail key it definitely is. If it was an OEM key then perhaps not. You might want to contact MS about that one. I guess I had assumed you purchased a retail pack for Win 7 Pro. The retail pack includes both a 32 Bit and a 64 Bit disk although only one can be installed at a time. To install the other you must remove the first to be legal. If this is your case then using the key for the 64 Bit downloaded iso file should be fine. If your Win 7 Pro came pre-loaded on a PC or you purchased a Win 7 Pro OEM license you may have a problem and perhaps a call to MS would help. Good luck.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again Ted,

My key is for the retail pack for Win 7 Pro.

One final question before I start the installation procedure. Regarding my programs, is it best to reinstall them from scratch (I have the installers) or can I just restore program files and data from my Macrium image.

Again, I appreciate your help.

Regards,Roy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No, your images will no longer be valid for the new OS; you have to make new ones once you get everything installed and up and running.
    If Macrium has a method for mounting the image, you can pull all your data out of it though.

Thanks
    Question answered. You are better off anyway by reinstallaing them. Get yourself a pristine installation. After moving your data (Pics, favs, contacts, My Documents, etc), doing all updates, installing all apps, doing all customizations you want, then that's a great time to make your baseline gold standard Image. Then recreate Images as you make changes.

I do believe you can mount the Image with Macrium although I'm not familiar enough with Macrium, but if you have put all your data on, sa, a flash drive ahead of time then you are golden.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Ted and fellow Loungers,

I have updated my motherboard,graphics card and processor,(or rather my local computer technician did this for me) and installed the 64 bit version Of Win 7 Pro with SP1.(The computer tech also replaced my ram-I now have 8GB).

I have 2 problems:

1.I am trying to install Nero version 11, but as part of the installation Nero require Adobe Flash Player to be installed, and the Nero installer is supposed to take care of this. However, when the installation of Flash starts Adobe pops up a message saying the version Nero is trying to install is out of date, and redirect me to the latest 64 bit version of Flash, which I have already installed. I understand I need to run the 32 bit veraion of IE 9 in order to install the 32 bit Flash Player version required by Nero, and that the installation of Win 7 includes the 32 and 64 bit version of IE9, but where do I find the 32 bit version? Do I have to install it, and if so can I switch back to the 64 bit version when I have installed Nero, and if so how?

2. Whenever I start my computer I get a message that “C:\Users\Roy\AppData\Local\Temp\192327 Log.ini is lost". I have no idea what this is about-can anyone help solve this problem.

Urgent help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    Last edited by royw; 2012-02-19 at 20:37.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by royw View Post
    Hello Ted and fellow Loungers,

I have updated my motherboard,graphics card and processor,(or rather my local computer technician did this for me) and installed the 64 bit version Of Win 7 Pro with SP1.(The computer tech also replaced my ram-I now have 8GB).

I have 2 problems:

1.I am trying to install Nero version 11, but as part of the installation Nero require Adobe Flash Player to be installed, and the Nero installer is supposed to take care of this. However, when the installation of Flash starts Adobe pops up a message saying the version Nero is trying to install is out of date, and redirect me to the latest 64 bit version of Flash, which I have already installed. I understand I need to run the 32 bit veraion of IE 9 in order to install the 32 bit Flash Player version required by Nero, and that the installation of Win 7 includes the 32 and 64 bit version of IE9, but where do I find the 32 bit version? Do I have to install it, and if so can I switch back to the 64 bit version when I have installed Nero, and if so how?

2. Whenever I start my computer I get a message that “C:\Users\Roy\AppData\Local\Temp\192327 Log.ini is lost". I have no idea what this is about-can anyone help solve this problem.

Urgent help would be appreciated.

Thanks and regards,
    Roy
    1.) If you install the 64-bit version of Flash you get both the 32-bit & 64-bit versions. It could be that the Nero installer is not checking the Flash version correctly. Have you checked the Nero forums?

2.) Use program such as Autoruns or WhatInStartup to check and manage what runs when you boot the PC. For Autoruns use the Logon tab. If you are unsure of what the startup programs are please post a screenshot and someone will help.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast