Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook not working

Windows 7 Professional, Office (Outlook) 2010. We recently upgraded from Windows XP Pro and Office 2003. This was a wipe and clean install of both by a professional.

My husband and I have separate accounts on the computer. I don't use Outlook as my mail client (I LOATHE Outlook, although given a choice between Outlook and Lotus Notes, Outlook wins hands down!), so I'm not much help when he has an Outlook issue.

Outlook is frequently slow to pull up, open mail, etc. He clicks on a message and Outlook freezes, he gets the non responding dialog. Eventually, Outlook decides to become responsive again. Eventually. The latest "quirk," the cursor is active everywhere but in Outlook. Try to select an message to view, the cursor disappears, you can't get to it. Rebooting seems to resolve the issue, but it shouldn't be this way. None of the other Office components have this issue, only Outlook.

This is a critical issue for him, he needs his e-mail to do his job, and the task he's currently on is in a critical phase.

Any clues, suggestions, etc., MUCH appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    How were the existing settings/contacts/emails migrated to OL 2010 from XP?
    I'm guessing the old PST file was used as the data file for the new installation. Bad idea.
    Although newer versions of Outlook can use the old format PST files, they don't do it well especially if the PST file is over 1gig in size. This often manifests itself as Outlook becoming unresponsive.
    If this is the case and the PST file is large, you should
    - note all settings
    - close Outlook
    - back up the current PST file for safekeeping
    - rename the old PST to something other than the default
    - start Outlook, it won't find the PST file; allow it to create a new one.
    - recreate the email settings in the new PST file
    - then you can import first the contacts and then emails from the old PST. This will take a long time if the old PST is large, and it may fail if the old PST has errors. If that happens you can run scanpst on it to (hopefully) correct the problem and then retry the import. If that fails then selectively import what you can folder by folder and then add the old PST to Outlook as another data file and use it as an archive to retrieve old emails as required.

Jock

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion. I'll try that. I'm thinking I did use the old PST file.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Before doing anything I would run the SCANPST cleaner. No doubt it'll find errors in your PST file. After you allow it to fix the errors (be sure to back up the PST before repairs), then compress the file. That could take several hours or more depending on your file size. AFTER all that is done, then see if it works better. I'd do what Jock suggested, just so that you end up using the new outlook file type, as opposed to the old one. Additionally, and just as a precaution, I run the SCANPST program monthly on my PST, repairing any problem AND compressing it too. I back it up daily, as well.
    Henry S. Winokur
    PC .HLP Computer Consulting -- Supporting family & SOHO Windows users in the DC area since 1990
    Bethesda, MD