5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Windows 7 logon question

I think this question belongs here, but if not . . .
    I'm curious about the following:
    Assume a desktop W7 system, with a router, running W7 firewall, and MSSE:
    Further assume the OP wasn't hypothetically concerned about a thief breaking into his/her home, and being able to logon to a computer with no password required to logon,
    what other vulnerabilities are created for such a system through the network or in any other way?

As I re-read the above, it seems convoluted. Here's what I'm trying to accomplish:
    I have the above system, and very strong passwords on my email and all other accounts.
    I would like to have a "weak" password to logon to my desktop, so that others in my family could access
    my system if something happened to me.

Before I implement such a "weak" password, I'm trying to anticipate any problems - with your help.
    So, thanks for any light you can shed on this question for me,
    Dick

Thanks
    Even accessing your desktop with a weak password will not give access to the email and other accounts you mention. You might want to develop instructions in, for example, Notepad and place them onto a flash drive that is stored with your important papers that will give complete instructions on how to access everything they might need on your PC. This would probably be more helpful than just getting access to your desktop. These instructions could include all necessary passwords to gain access to all accounts, and any other important instructions that may be forgotten under a crisis situation.

Dick, on a side note, I hope you are OK!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Medico For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-01-21)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Dick,

Another option is to place a Strong password on your machine and then use the SysInternals AutoLogon program to avoid having to type the password when you boot the machine. This little program keeps your files protected should someone try to access your computer via the internet and/or by hacking your wireless router. Since they don't have your password they can't get to your files even if they are shared since the share requires your logon password. Of course, this assumes you setup your shares the old fashioned way. I do not know if it applies to HomeGroups as I don't use them. YMMV.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

5. The Following User Says Thank You to RetiredGeek For This Useful Post:

Dick-Y (2012-01-20)

Thanks
    I use Last Pass to remember all my passwords. I just have to remember a master password, and pass that master password along to my family. The other advantage of this method is being able to log onto your online accounts (banking, credit cards, etc) from other PC's.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted and RG:
    Thanks for the helpful comments.
    Ted, I really appreciate your concern. I'm fine, health-wise.
    I suffer from being an over-planner, which is why I posted my question.
    Best to you both, and to all the others who have helped me here with all my questions.
    A few years back I subscribed to windowssecrets. It's proven to be one of the best investments
    I've ever made.

Dick

Thanks
    Hi Dick,

If I'm at home for a prolonged period, I do as in my pdf. If not it is returned to normal. Auto Log-On.pdf
    This means I only have to remember one password. If they are saved to a password manager, or saved to removable media, you need a pc to access the password.
    All my other many passwords, are saved in a password protected zip file using notepad (on 4 external hdd's). Firefox is only allowed to remember what I choose.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!