Thanks

(SOLVED!) HP Pavilion Synaptic Touchpad scrolling stopped working

I am helping a friend who has an HP Pavilion dv9700t laptop, with Windows 7 Pro x64 installed. The laptop has been running fine until recently, when the Synaptic touchpad's scrolling ability stopped working. The touchpad has not been exposed to excessive heat or subjected to liquid damage, and no changes have been made to the Synaptic Preferences or the Mouse options in Control Panel. A different driver hasn't been installed over the existing one. He asked me to help him determine why it has stopped working, but I can't figure it out. The only thing I can think of that may have caused both the horizontal and the vertical scrolling to stop working could possibly be a Windows update, but trying to determine which one is the culprit (if any) is almost impossible. I've tried disabling and re-enabling the scrolling options, and I've deleted and reinstalled the driver, but no luck. Should I roll back to a previous version, or try something else?

The driver version is 15.0.17.4 and the Synaptics Touchpad version is V6.3, if that helps at all.
    Last edited by Diogones; 2012-01-22 at 20:26.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Did this problem start at the same time as the problem reported in the other thread? If so, I would not think they could be unrelated. If there is a chance to restore to a time before the problem started with System Restore, or even better with a System Image then do so. System Restore may or may not work. Otherwise perhaps a system repair would work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Hey Ted, thanks for the reply and for looking at both threads. Yes, they did occur at the same time, more or less, so I'm inclined to agree with you. Something must have happened to cause both the HP stuck screen and the no scroll problem. I just thought they were different enough to make two separate threads, but I could always consolidate them if that helps clean up the forum a little bit.

As far as a System Restore is concerned, I'll give it a shot, but I'm wondering if that will help the other issue. I removed the hard drive that was in the laptop, and installed one that was from a different Windows laptop. The computer still stopped at the HP Invent screen, so I don't think it is a hard drive or Windows issue, as it is exhibiting the same behavior regardless of the hard drive.

Also, interestingly enough, the touchpad actually did start scrolling again after I restarted the computer (with the original drive in it), but today, when I booted up, it was back to not working. It seems that it is displaying on again, off again symptoms.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Hmmm, this is perplexing. Just does not seem reasonable that 2 seperate failures will occur at the same time. There could be a hardware failure causing both failures. I would not recommend digging into a laptop too far beyond the HD and RAM (these are both easily accesible on my laptops. Other than these a trip to a reputable tech might be in order. Any chance the laptop is still on warranty? That's about all I have.

Could you look to see if there might be a Bios update available from HP for the laptop.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    OK Ted, I have an update for you. First, I have to agree wholeheartedly with you on popping open the computer; after researching how to tear down this particular model, I realized just how involved the whole process was. I'd probably end up fixing the problem while breaking something else!

Unfortunately, it is a laptop from 07', so any warranty on it has long since expired. However, as I mentioned in the other HP thread, I did download and flash the latest BIOS version from HP's website, but no luck.

I ran the system restore, and it appears that the touchpad scrolling is working again, but I won't say the problem is solved until my friend uses it for a bit, to see if it is still exhibiting any more of its fickle behavior.

Thanks
    Well, I hope the problems are solved for your friend's sake. These fickle problems can be very difficult to find. Glad you decided not to disassemble. They make them look so easy, but they are definitely not. Hope it continues to work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    The scrolling stopped working again. I think that maybe the trackpad connector could be damaged or slightly disconnected, which would explain it's flighty behavior.

Thanks
    Hooray! Great news! I figured out what was causing the problems. It turns out that my friend had broken off one of the laptop keys, and in an attempt to get it to remain on the laptop, glued it back on to the keyboard, without telling me. I discovered this when I opened Wordpad to write some notes, only to find the 9 key displaying in an active line, like this: 99999999999999999

The key had been glued so firmly that it was permanently pressing as though someone were holding it down. As a result, the trackpad wouldn't scroll (as the 9 key also doubled as the right arrow key) and the BIOS would remain stuck on the initial boot screen until another key was pressed.

After removing the key, I scraped the dried glue off of it, reattached the plastic switch to the metal brackets on the keyboard so it snapped firmly back into place, and sternly lectured my friend about why superglue and keyboards do not mix.

Thanks again for your help Ted; I'm marking the thread as solved!

Thanks
    Great news. It's amazing what can cause these various problems we encounter. I see this also fixed the other problem. I knew they had to be related.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted