Thanks

(SOLVED!) Hp Pavilion stops at Hp Logo Screen

Similar to my other thread in the hardware section, I have a friend who has an HP Pavilion dv9700t laptop, with Windows 7 Pro x64 installed. The laptop has been working fine until recently, when a curious irregularity has started happening. The laptop will start up fine, but when it first boots up, it will hit the HP Invent logo screen, revealing all the startup key options, such as F1 to enter setup, F2 for system info, etc. The laptop will just sit there on the HP screen, until any key is pressed, then it will continue the boot sequence and load Windows normally. I can enter the BIOS normally, and access any of the startup options normally. It's just that the laptop used to boot past the HP screen without intervention, and now it won't without a key press. I've checked all the settings in the BIOS, and I've even flashed it to a more recent version, but no luck. I don't know what caused it, because it has just started happening recently, and there doesn't appear to be any reason for it. Could it possibly be a hardware issue? Would I need to check the drive for errors, or is it a problem within Windows?
    Last edited by Diogones; 2012-01-22 at 20:29.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try checking in the bios that the correct HDD is the first boot option and you don't have a non bootable CD in the drive..
    Failing that try "control panel/system/advanced system settings" Click on 'start-up and recovery button', then check you don't have a long time set in in the 'time to display list' and 'time to display recovery' boxes.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Sounds like the laptop is failing the POST (power on self test), in which case you may need to dig out the Windows 7 boot disk.
    If you do not have a bootdisk you can make one for USB or CD ROM from a different compter. Just ensure that it's a match for
    the laptop's bit type and os version.

Thanks
    Thanks both of you for your prompt and helpful replies! OK, curiousclive, let's run through your suggestions:

Check boot order to ensure hard drive is first: check.
    Check optical drive for non-bootable disc: check.
    Removed all other peripherals so only the computer is starting up: check.

I also checked the advanced settings startup times like you mentioned; startup time in case of error was unchecked, and startup time to select OS was set to the default of 30 seconds. I shortened the time and tried to reboot - when that didn't work, I tried enabling the other option and disabling the first, disabling and enabling both, and so forth. No matter what combination I tried, it didn't seem to help, sadly enough.

I might be inclined to agree with your idea Clint, especially after my latest attempt to fix it: I removed the hard drive and installed another one from another healthy Windows 7 computer, and tried booting it up. The laptop booted fine, but it was still stuck on the HP logo screen until I tapped a key. This tells me it isn't a hard drive or Windows issue, and that either there is something wrong with the BIOS, or it is a hardware issue, as you suggested.

I can try and use the boot repair disc Clint, but won't that just help Windows boot, and not necessarily affect the HP boot screen? I can still get into the BIOS without trouble, and I have updated to the latest BIOS version from HP's website.

Also, my friend does have a Macrium Reflect backup of the laptop that he made a few months ago. Since he is willing to backup his current files and have a go at it, we might try the restore to see if that fixes the BIOS issue. After all, it worked when the backup was made, so it may fix this right? On the other hand, I already did a system restore to an early period (Dec 8th 2011) and it still didn't work, so maybe a image restore would be overkill.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    1 You might also want to check your keyboard combinations documentation. If you are able to effect a normal boot by pressing a key, it may sugest you
    inadvertantly activated some kind of combolock on normal bootup.
    2 Some BIOS have the option of putting a hold on normal bootup until there is some user interaction; Pressing a certain key, or waiting for user to select
    a boot menu item.

Thanks
    Thanks for the keyboard combo idea Clint, and I double checked my BIOS just to be sure, but there isn't such a setting that exists for this computer's BIOS version. The BIOS menu is actually quite simplistic; the only options are to set bootup and BIOS passwords, change boot order, and reset to factory defaults. I've tried all of these, without success.

Thanks
    Hey Clint, great news! Your idea about the keyboard combo paid off! I was using the laptop, when I discovered that one of the keys had been glued to the board (see my other HP thread in the Hardware section) and so was therefore permanently pressing, giving a reoccurring signal. This was preventing the BIOS from advancing past the initial boot up screen. After I removed the key, the BIOS booted normally. I fixed the key, and everything seems to be ship-shape!