Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

AV for Kindle Fire?

I apologize if this is in the wrong place, and no, it's not about Windows. But if anyone has some good info, I'd sure appreciate it.

Recently, my daughter purchased a Kindle Fire and is now thinking she needs an AV. I don't have an eReader of any kind, so am clueless about all this. Can anyone recommend a good product?

Thanks ahead of time!
    Get Caught in the 'web' of Miss Mae's books!
    www.missmaesite.com

Thanks
    I wasn't aware that a Kindle needed an AV. I'm sure she'll be alright without it.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-01-26 at 20:04.

Thanks
    I did put an AV on my Nook Color, but only after I added a 16 GB MicroSD card with Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 and dual booted with my Nook. I can access the Android Market so in this case it seemed a good precaution as with my Android phone. I also have a AV on my phone. If I were just using the Nook to connect to Barnes and Noble, I probably would not have an AV. I would think Kindle is similar. I do not know what OS Kindle Fire tablet uses. Is it able to connect with say the Android Market or similar? If so an AV would be good. There are numerous AV apps available on the Android Market, many free.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks to both of you. I'll let her know!
    Get Caught in the 'web' of Miss Mae's books!
    www.missmaesite.com

Thanks
    She should be fine as long as she doesn't jailbrake or otherwise hack the device.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    I do not know what OS Kindle Fire tablet uses.
    Gingerbread, the same as Nook Tablet, but I'm thinking the version numbers are going to be a bit different. B&N's last update closed off the ability to side load apps from the Android store.

Quote Originally Posted by CLiNT View Post
    She should be fine as long as she doesn't jailbrake or otherwise hack the device.
    I agree. I thought about rooting my Nook Tablet but after using it for a month I found I really have all I want/need/have time for from the Nook store. Keeping it simple has really been a pleasure.
    Chuck

Thanks
    Chuck, I did not root my tablet. N2A Cards offers a MicroSD card with Gingerbread installed that allows me to dual boot either to Nook 1.4 or Gingerbread 2.3.4. Using this card allows the use of Android without voiding the Nook waranty. Al I need to do is pull the MicroSD card and back to original Nook. I do not believe Kindle allows the additional storage space as Nook does. if Kindle does use Android and can go to the Android Market, I would suggest a good AV. There are several fine, free AV products listed. Just search AV on the Market.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You have to pull the card to boot back to the factory Nook? Really? Ted, you just illustrated my point. Dual booting, especially in this fashion just makes it more complex, not to mention more expensive. However that is a LOT easier than rooting it altogether. All I want to do is read, play a game or two, and have quick, basic access to the Internet when I'm near WiFi. I haven't found anything I can't do with the Nook that would make want to run an unlocked version of Android. If I need more, then I really need my netbook or my laptop.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-01-23 at 13:21.
    Chuck

Thanks
    No I do not have to pull the card to dual boot. What I said was by pulling the card I am back to original Nook. To dual boot all I have to do is reboot. I have 5 seconds to select whether to boot to Nook or Android. I generally choose to boot to Android as it is much more flexible than the Nook OS. The original Nook OS, although better now than the original version 1.0 (I bought my Nook Color right after they were released. I had to wait for mine. In fact I bought 2 for my wife and I) is very tethered by Nook. It is not capable of so much that a real tablet can do. That's why I looked into rooting (this was not my first choice as it does invalidate the waranty) and looking at MicroSD cards I could add to dual boot with. I could not get the cards to work that I attempted to load myself, but the N2D cards work great (have 2 now). I am very pleasantly surprised at how well this card works.
    Last edited by Medico; 2012-01-23 at 14:22.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    It is not capable of so much that a real tablet can do.
    Not sure what a "real" tablet is that would be so much more capable of the "stock" Nook or Fire other than having more apps available. To me, advertising that there are 500k plus apps available is a bit like touting that the latest and greatest camera has more megapixels than the last model. At some point it becomes meaningless and offers no real gain other than being an advertising gimmick.

That's why I looked into rooting (this was not my first choice as it does invalidate the waranty) and looking at MicroSD cards I could add to dual boot with. I could not get the cards to work that I attempted to load myself, but the N2D cards work great (have 2 now). I am very pleasantly surprised at how well this card works.
    Good to know. I have a friend who wants to get one for his wife, but would like to root it right away. But he too is leery of voiding the warranty. This card sounds like a nice alternative.

With the card, can you access B&N content off the on board storage? Or are you simply downloading any B&N EPUB books from your web account. If so, how well does the B&N Nook Android app work?
    Chuck

Thanks
    There is a Nook Reader app in Android Market that you download. You then connect directly to your B&N account as with the Nook Color OS and either download your books in their entirety or just download the book you are presently reading. I find the text format has more options and works just like the Nook OS reader. I suspect the Nook OS Reader is a version of the Android App. These cards makes it so much easier than rooting that it does not make sense to root.

Basically a real tablet allows you to choose the apps you wish to use. You can do about everything you can with a Android phone, except make calls, and DrWho believes he has found a way to place internet calls using his tablet (I believe he has an Android tablet) These cards can turn the Nook into a full fledged tablet with all the capabilities of any other Android tablet. The Nook OS (I do have version 1.4) goes a ways toward this but is prevented from achieving all a full tablet can do by the OS. Gingerbread sort of sets it free if you will IMHO.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks

What is rooting?

What is rooting? Why does it invalidate the warranty?

Thanks
    Chatman, Welcome to the Lounge as a new poster.

Rooting is replacing the manufacturers software with a totally different software. It wipes out the original software, thus invalidating the warranty. Dual booting means I can boot to either OS.

I can set my Nook this way because it allows the addition of an extra MicroSD memory card onto which the secondary OS has been installed.

You can read a lot of info about rooting by doing a Google search. just be very careful. You might brick your new tablet or phone. There are ways to reload the original OS, but it is complicated.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Rooting does not necessarily involve wiping original software. It merely means getting root access to the device in question.

For example, I have an Android phone that I have rooted. It is still running the exact same OS it came with, complete with all of the carrier and manufacturer specific modifications.

The only difference is that I have root access to the file system.

That allows me to do numerous things such as do full system backups, control everything down to the smallest detail through scripting, and install low level security programs that cannot be removed through a hard reset or "factory defaults" reset.

As for AV on an Android device, the best around is Avast, even if you do not have a rooted device. Not only is it free, but it covers all your bases from protecting you from malicious apps to web based exploits, to privacy concerns in marketplace apps. On a rooted device, it also offers outstanding anti-theft components.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Ted and Doc Brown,

I came across this discussion and have 2 cents to offer. I have a Nook Color that I have recently returned to factory specs. I gave up trying to use it as a tablet. I tried running Gingerbread from a SDHC card and discovered that it was dog slow in loading and running. It was like a computer that had to go to the hard drive for every command. It might have been the card I was using, but I quit at that point.

The main reason that the Nook Color will never be a "real" tablet is hardware. It lacks a GPS, compass, cameras and a microphone. You might think you can get along without these, but many apps require them to function. I mostly missed the mic, because I wanted to run SKYPE and could not figure a work-around. A camera is not just for taking pictures. All the apps that scan things and do recognition of any kind use the camera.

In any case, I gave up and decided to use it for just a reader, a job it does well.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast