Thanks

VGA port doesn't work after PCI graphics card installation

I'm working with a Dell Dimension 4600 with Windows XP Pro SP3 installed, and I am having some display issues with it.

First of all, the owner installed an Nvidia graphics card in the computer, which has a VGA and a DVI port on it. After installing the card, the original VGA port on the motherboard no longer works. I've tried different monitors, but none of them recognize it at all.

Second, the graphics card seems to be acting up. The DVI-I port will not work when connected to the DVI-D port on the monitor, even with a DVI-D cable. The VGA port does work, but the monitor seems to keep turning black and then back on every so often. I've checked the connections, and tried different cables, but nothing seems to work. I ensured that I had the latest drivers for the device from the OEM website, and when that didn't work, I even downgraded to older driver versions, but no luck. I'm not sure if the graphics card is a lemon, or if something isn't configured properly in XP to cause these display issues.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Look through your BIOS settings as well. See what turns up in there in terms of functionality options.
    It's hard to say what to look for exactly as most BIOS's vary. Try turning off your motherboards default built-in GPU.
    Always go with the DVI port as opposed to a VGA port unless your dealing with antiquated hardware.
    Also ensure the add-on GPU is actually compatible with the motherboard you have, ...and your monitor[?]

Thanks
    Ok Clint, I'll check out the BIOS settings and troubleshoot the problem tomorrow: I'll let you know what turns up. I can tell you now however that the monitor is a LCD Acer AL1916W, and it is only about two years old, so I don't think it is dying or anything. I also have tried using an HP 24in monitor that belongs to the computer's owner, with the same results.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    You may have a faulty card. Remove the card and try the built in graphics as a test.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Often when fitting an extra graphic card the bios will disable the inbuilt graphics to allow full use of all resources for the new card. As Clint says you could have a faulty card or your Motherboard doesn't support PCI-E cards. Also check new card doesn't require extra power 6 /8 pin connections (some do. Look for black sockets normally mounted on top or back of card.). Would help if we knew what Nvidia card you are fitting.
    Last edited by curiousclive; 2012-01-23 at 09:50.
    Clive

All typing errors are my own work and subject to patents pending. Except errors by the spell checker. And that has its own patients.

Thanks
    Thank you both for your help; it turns out you were also both correct! I removed the display card, and the built-in VGA worked just fine. I checked the BIOS again, and curiousclive was right: it had disabled the onboard VGA port for the display card. There were two settings: Auto or Off. Off obviously turns the onboard graphics off; auto checks whether anything is installed, and if so, it disables the onboard graphics; if no other graphic cards are installed, the VGA port is on. There is no On option to leave the port always on, hence why it would work when the card was removed, and didn't when it was installed.

I cannot determine which type of Nvidia card it is, because the model number isn't listed on the card, and I don't have any other documentation for it. I'm going to try to find the driver for it from Nvidia. There is a driver update offered through Windows, but I'm always leery about drivers from MS, especially display drivers.

I'll keep posting if I find a driver for it. Apparently the display flickers on and off, but only when using the PCIe card; the built in video is fine.

Thanks
    Try an app such as SIW to determine the graphics model number. This app gives a ton of info about your software and hardware. Also Device Manager may have some info for you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy