New Lounger
    Thanks

Office 2007 Defaults changed?

I need applications like Powerpoint 2007 to have the same defaults as Powerpoint 2003, since I frequently work on presentation documents using both of these applications. Is there an easy way to set the default color scheme and font scheme to the original 2003 defaults? Also, is there an easy way to set the default line widths of shapes to something more reasonable than the 2007 line widths?
    Thanks in advance.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Welcome to the Lounge!

It's certainly the case that a lot changed from PowerPoint 2003 to PowerPoint 2007. I don't know if there's an easy way, within PowerPoint 2007, to set the default color scheme and font schemes back to the original defaults. It might be possible to customize the built-in Office theme to match the PowerPoint 2003 specs, but I don't know if that would be a great idea - for example if you ever wanted to make any PowerPoint 2007-default presentations in the future.

Here's an easy workaround though (if you still have access to a PC with PowerPoint 2003 on it):
    In PowerPoint 2003, create a new blank presentation. Save it as a design template (.pot file). You could call it "PPT 2003.pot"
    Copy the template file and bring it over to your 2007 PC.

Next, open the .pot file on your PowerPoint 2007 PC (be sure to open the .pot itself, rather than create a new presentation from the .pot). Do Office Button > Save As > Other Formats, and save it as a .potx file, and let it save to your default location for .potx templates.

While the .potx is still open, insert a Shape (such as a rectangle), and change the settings of the line width to whatever you want it to be. Then right-click on the shape and click on 'Set as Default Shape'. You can then delete the shape, and save and close the .potx file.

Then in the future, to create a new PowerPoint 2007 presentation that has the PPT 2003 defaults, go to Office Button > New > My Templates, and use the 'PPT 2003.potx' template to create a new presentation.

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Frieder; 2012-01-24 at 10:03. Reason: Edit instructions

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Frieder For This Useful Post:

sandborn (2012-01-24)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, this is very helpful. I did a little more searching yesterday and that's what I ended up doing: creating my own template and basically duplicating it for both applications. I tried to do similar things with Excel 2007, but without success. Any suggestions there?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Glad that helped!

As far as Excel, you can go to Page Layout > Themes > Fonts and set the theme fonts to 'Office Classic 2' to get the Arial fonts.

As far as changing the default colors for charts and shapes I'm not sure; I think you might have to create your own custom set of 'Office Classic 2' theme colors, set to match the defaults in Excel 2003.

Gary