Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Replacing one custom theme with another (PPT 2007)

We got a 47-page presentation from another government agency, and we need to move the contents into a new presentation that uses our own custom theme. The hard way would be to copy and paste the content from the original presentation to the new one. The easy way would be to simply change the themes, but that's proving difficult.The original seems to have some hard-wired elements—primarily graphics. I've opened the presentation in Slide Master view, but I can't even select the graphic elements. Text is no problem. I've consulted PPT Help, where I've read how to delete a custom theme. However, the Design tab shows only "This Presentation" and "Built-in" themes—there's no custom theme to delete.What have I overlooked?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    There probably is no custom theme (nor alternate built-in theme) associated with the original presentation, to begin with.
    Another way to confirm that is to go to View > Slide Master, and click on the Themes button in the Edit Theme group. Is the only theme showing under This Presentation the built-in Office Theme?
    If that's the case, then every element of the presentation design, that deviates from the built-in Office Theme, is "direct formatting" (to use a term from Word). And if that's the case, then there's no one-click way to transform the design over to your new one. One-click theme switching will only work if both presentations were set up to use themes.

As far as not being able to select the graphic elements in Slide Master view, are you talking about the slide backgrounds, or something else? The slide backgrounds are not directly selectable - you have to drill down to them via Format Background.

Gary

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Frieder View Post
    As far as not being able to select the graphic elements in Slide Master view, are you talking about the slide backgrounds, or something else? The slide backgrounds are not directly selectable - you have to drill down to them via Format Background.
    Gary, thanks for that information. This is interesting. Just now, I'm examining an item named "Briefing_Template.ppt". That tells me it was built in PowerPoint XP; for what it's worth, I'm using Office 2007. In Slide Master view, Background group, I click Format Background. The Fill pane shows solid fill, color: white, transparency: 0%. The Picture pane has everything grayed out: Recolor, Brightness, Contrast. Even so, there are graphic elements in plain sight. In the upper left and lower right corners, I see military camouflage pattern; in the lower right corner there's also a small logo. I can't click on—let alone change—any of this stuff.The "template" does not have any protection: "Unrestricted Access." What else do I look for?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Just checking that you're in the right place - are you trying to select a graphic element on the topmost Slide Master, or on one of its child slide layouts? Because a graphic element that's been placed on the main Slide Master, isn't going to be selectable from any of the child slide layouts.

Gary

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm looking at the slide master. This "template" has just one slide, believe it or not. That's why I say it's not a real template in the MS-Office sense. It's just a sample of what has to appear on the cover slide.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    For a template to start out with just one slide, isn't hard to believe.

But as far as I know, to be in slide master view and only see one slide there - I'm not sure that's possible. You can go into slide master view and delete all but one of the master slide layouts that are appended to the parent slide master, but I don't think you can delete that last slide layout.

So, just to make sure we're in the same place, when you go to View > Slide Master, you don't at least see this?:

slidemasterview2.JPG

- and you're clicking in the topmost, larger parent slide master (the one highlighted in the picture above) and still can't select the graphic?

Gary

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Gary Frieder For This Useful Post:

Caesar3 (2012-02-02)

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Oh, boy—now I've got it! I'm where I need to be now. Thank you for steering me right!