3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Toshiba rescue disk failure

I can't start Vista Home Premium on my laptop, and the rescue DVD wouldn't start.

I eaxamined it in my desktop PC and couldn't read some of the files. I used Isobuster and managed eventually to download the relevant files, and I now have assembled in a folder all the files that should be on the DVD.

My problem now is how do I produce a bootable DVD containing all these files. I'm using Nero and have tried the Boot DVD option, but it doesn't seem to work.

How do I provide a suitable image to Nero to reproduce a DVD that boots like the original did?

TIA

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    I can't start Vista Home Premium on my laptop, and the rescue DVD wouldn't start.
    "A1",
    Hello.... First thing is that you have to make sure that your "BIOS" ( the booting order) is set to boot from a CD... You enter the BIOS screen a boot time before your OS loads up. On my PC you do this by hitting "F-10" Setup" maybe different on your PC...Once into the screen use the up\down arrows and the enter key to maneuver to the desired screen ... Set boot order so that "CD Rom group" ( or something like that) is first in the order... If your recovery disk still does not work then ... we can proceed from there. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred, but booting from a CD/DVD is easy, just press F12 and a boot menu appears. I used this when I tried a Vista installation DVD, the 'repair my computer' option.
    This told me I had a problem but it couldn't repair it.
    What I'm trying to do is recreate the Toshiba Rescue boot dvd which was made when the laptop was new, and which is now damaged.

I can provide all the files, as I said, but I can't seem to produce a disc that will boot.
    Last edited by A1ex; 2012-01-25 at 06:56. Reason: Spelling

Thanks
    How do I provide a suitable image to Nero to reproduce a DVD that boots like the original did?
    You'll have to convert it back to an ISO format. Then Nero can be used to make it bootable and ready for burning to CD/DVD ROM disk.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ex View Post
    Thanks Fred, but booting from a CD/DVD is easy, just press F12 and a boot menu appears.
    "A1"
    Hello... The "Boot Menu" is not the screen that you want ...You need to get into "<Setup>" ( Not boot menu) to set the PC to auto boot from the CD \DVD.If what your refering to is a "Toshiba" rescue disk ..I'm not sure of what you mean.. Is it the "Original Factory OS" disk or a "Repair disk" that you create using windows? Some factory installs have a hidden partition that has a "Recovery Partition" that has the factory OS... Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    The F12 boot menu should work regardless of the Setup or BIOS setting. It should list the CD/DVD as a boot option and you may have to also respond to a "Press any key to boot from CD" during the boot process.

Jerry

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a repair disk, Fred. It can't be read by the laptops DVD, and I struggled with Isobuster on my desktop to copy the contents, following which I had the full set in a folder.

I have now managed to create a new bootable dvd using Nero, just had to get the sectors etc right and set 'no emulation'.
    However, the files are still corrupted and can't be read, so I have reloaded a fresh Vista install and will forget Toshiba altogether.

Thanks all for the suggestions, I find this forum the most helpful I have ever been on - and that's quite a few!