2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't access Buffalo external hard drive

Purchased a Buffalo external hard drive 2tb usb 3. It is showing up in device manager and disk management as OK meaning that the hardware side of things look fine. Installed a usb 3 pci card. When I try to run the software the Drive navigator comes up with an error that means that I can't access the hard drive. To be honest all I want to do is drag&drop files without the software. I un installed the software and I have checked for permissions and taken ownership and run as administrator. I downloaded up dates from the site to no avail and couldn't see any info in their forum. Any ideas? TIA

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Can you see the drive when you connect it into a USB 2.0 port?
    BATcher

Mr Owl ate my metal worm

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have connected it via the USB 3 and as stated it shows up in disk management along with my other drives. It is reported as being active and healthy and primary. It is when I click on it to open it - hoping to drag and drop - it then takes me to the Buffalo software which I have to use. Unfortunatley there is a runtime error. I have tried uninstalling the software and have looked for a 3rd party software. The Buffalo back up looks crappy and you can't seem to choose folders. Spent a few hours looking at the obvious things and have scoured their website to no avail.

Thanks
    Have you tried both uninstalling the Buffalo software and reformating the drive?
    After reformatting the drive do not reinstall the Buffalo software. If it is formatted and functional you should be able to use it as a drag and drop, or copy and paste.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive has been formatted as NTFS and has used space of about 300mb. Would that be the software? I have uninstalled it a few times but doesn't seem to "disappear" and stops me viewing the drive like my other two external drives. The software seems to be deliberately blocking access. I have downloaded Memo instant backup - as recommended by Buffalo - and I am trying it now. Not impressed so far. Doesn't show progress speed. I installed a USB 3.0 PCI card and I would like to see a transfer rate.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I used memo back up program to transfer some files to the Buffalo drive. I then clicked on the folder and they were there as expected. I then decded to drag and drop files from an internal partition into the backed up folder and they went with an initial speed of 88 mb - which buffalo stated they would using usb 3.0 - and I was able to open the NEF image file in an image browser. This is exactly what I wanted. It seems to be that there had to be a folder on the hard drive before drag & drop would work? Strange?

4 Star Lounger
    Hillsborough (San Francisco Bay area), California, USA
    Thanks
    Bob,

Rather than "clicking" on the drive in Windows Explorer, try right-clicking to see if that gives you an explore option, rather than open.

Zig

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to admit I got it wrong. An aging brain is my excuse. When I originally accessed the drive the transfer software and it's components were showing up on what I assumed would be an empty drive and when I clicked on the software there was an error in running it. I guess it was because it wasn't on a drive without a windows system. I have deleted the software and all is fine. BTW Macrium transferred a partition of nearly 400GB's in less than 2 hours to the hard drive. The transfer rate is amazing. Thanks for the replies.

Thanks
    Yes, many of these external drives come with their own backup software preinstalled directly on the drive as hidden files.
    And the software they bundle is usually pretty crapy to begin with unless you know the software and are comfortable using it.

If you are aware of this you can simply format the drive yourself and choose not to install the software, as you have learned.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW.
    I have a SimpleTech 1 TB drive that has worked fine on several XP and Win7 systems as a back up drive using Retrospect software that did not come with the drive.
    I just got a new Dell M4600 laptop with Win 7 Pro and the drive appears in Explorer, but Win7 says the drive must be formatted before it can be used. If I boot into Safe Mode the drive works fine. SimpleTech support said this is due to "security" features of Win7 and that the drive must be reformatted. I haven't gotten around to doing this yet, since I don't have another drive big enough to hold everything that is on it. Hopefully it will work fine after formatting, but I have my doubts.

Brian in Austin, Texas

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have installed a Buffalo NAS and find that that machine that access the Network via Wireless are not able to find the Buffals 1TB NAS using the Buffalo SW.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem might be, the Buffalo SW or my Wireless Router, or something else.