2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macrium compression

I am using macrium but have never thankfully had to do a restore. I have Nikon nef images on a drive I want to back up but I am not sure if the compression will damage them? Also Tiffs that have already been compressed with Lzw compression.Any thoughts? TIA

Thanks
    I generally back up data separately from Images. I make an Image of my OS partitions (dual boot Win 7 and Win 8 DP) but backup all data at 100 % (Just drag and drop to backup folder). You could try to Image the photos and see what happens when you restore. Back the photos up separately first. Do you have your data on a separate partition or on the same partition as the OS? I would recommend a separate partition unless you create new Images each day as your data will be out of data quickly if you add to it each day. This way you can restore the OS without touching the data at all. Use the approved Method to safely move data to a new partition.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply. My C drive doesn't have data stored on it. I "slimmed" it down so that Marium would have an easier time backing up. Images are on seperate internal drive which I want to back to an external drive. I think I will use the drag & drop method by dragging my folders. I have a nagging doubt that Macrium may damage the files.

Thanks
    Just remove the compression option from within Macrium if you have doubts.
    You will also need to be confident in the software you have chosen to perform the imaging. Since you have never actually performed a restore job you had better have a hard copy backup on hand (especially for compressed files like TIFF/JPEG) in the even your confidence has been inadvertantly misplaced.

But Ted is right, your better off just doing a straight copy of the compressed files to a backup location of your choosing.
    Using imaging in this way only adds a layer of complexity to something that should be a very simple hard copy backup.
    Last edited by CLiNT; 2012-01-25 at 08:32.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
    I am using macrium but have never thankfully had to do a restore. I have Nikon nef images on a drive I want to back up but I am not sure if the compression will damage them? .Any thoughts?
    bobrobert,
    Have a few tings to add..
    1. To move your files there is a great free program that moves things faster than Windows "Drag and Drop" or "Copy" TeraCopy Free

2. Don't know which version of Macrium you are using but version 5 you can select "None" for compression.

3.I don't think that you can compress pictures.. (From what i have heard) never tried it.

Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobrobert View Post
    I think I will use the drag & drop method by dragging my folders. I have a nagging doubt that Macrium may damage the files.
    Bob,

Might I suggest you look into RoboCopy vs D&D. You can automate to only copy new & changed files.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Fred. I am using version 4.2. When I backed up a partition and created an image that contained only images the partition went from 390 GB's to 348 GB's. with Macrium's compression set to medium and then wondered about the effect on the image quality. I am now wondering if creating an image was the correct thing to do? No operating system on the partition. I am feeling my way here so I am not sure about what I am doing? It looks like drag&drop using your recommendation is best.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I just tried the Tera copy free and I transferred a file that took 25 seconds deleted it and drag and dropped it in 10 seconds.