2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to play just a video on Windows 7 monitor

I have been asked to setup an all-in-one Windows7 PC with a touch sensitive screen, to play a video whenever anyone touchs the screen.
    Can anyone offer suggestions as to how I can go about making this work?
    Thank you

Thanks
    Do you want to subcontract this project?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot answer the question as I do not have enough information.
    I am looking for information about making this work. With sufficient information I can then decide if I have enough skills or if I must go elsewhere to get the job done.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume that you mean that the screen is showing the usual Windows dextop, perhaps with various app windows open. Do you want to be able to touch anywhere, even within an application windows? This might be a little disconcerting for someone using a app like Word or some graphics app when the touch the screen to make a selection or perform some editing. But if all you require is an icon on the desktop that you could touch, or something similar, then a little bit of either configuration or script programming might accomplish this. Also, is it any video, a specific video, can the user select a video, or is it always play the DVD in the DVD drive. And what happens if there is no DVD?

A few more details on exactly what you expect to have happen would be helpful. You might also have to provide some of the touch-screen capabilities provided by your system as many of us don't have such a system; knowing what touch screen actions are already supported, would help. For example, I assume that you can use the touch screen, instead of a mouse, to perform common editing or menu clicking tasks, but I have no idea if that is correct.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    An all-in-one PC with a touch snsitive screen would be in the reception area of a lawyer's office.
    The screen would be showing a screen saver with the message to touch the screen anywhere to start the video playing.

A client waiting, could touch the screen and the promotional video would play.
    Once finished the screen would revert to the screen saver.

This PC would be dedicated to only show this one video.
    The PC would work as a regular PC during the setup with keyboard, mouse and networking.
    Once setup has been completed, the keyboard, mouse and network would be disconnected.
    The PC would be powered on and boot up to the message screen. As soon as the screen is touched the video would play.
    Some sort of escape process would have to be included to allow normal PC operation to be resumed.
    That is the ideal operation. If I have to change some of that operation to get the video playing, then I will have to entertain possible changes.
    Thank you for the questions to clarify the task.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for the explanation. I haven't tried this before, but I think what might work for you is a an automated PowerPoint presentation. Set up several slides to simulate the "Touch screen to start video" screen saver (ask if you don't know what I mean or how to do this), and then add a last slide that contains the video. Set up the presentation automation to rotate through the "screensaver" slides, and place links on those slides that jump to the slide with the video. And set up the video slide to go back to the "screen saver" slide roation once finished.

To get out of the slide show, plug in the keyboard and hit ESC.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you very much for the approach. I will be able to give this a try later on this week.
    I will let you know if everything works out.

Thanks
    Windows 8, will probably provide more of a framework for something like that. It's designed for a touch screen, where Win-7 is NOT.
    It comes with the Metro UI startup screen, where different apps can be accessed, like the apps on some new Cell Phones, Tablet PCs, etc.

I'd just limit the apps to just a few power point presentations, related to the Office or business it will be used in.
    In a law office, you could have an app for divorce, another for wills and trusts, etc. It would be more versatile and helpful than just one app.
    With Win-8 and the Metro UI, it would be very Do'able.

As for a screen saver, those are redundant for an LED or LCD screen that will never "Burn". Put up there what you want people to see, like a Menu for informational videos. I did that 20+ years ago, with DOS. We sort of do that today, with Desktop Icons.

Today, with XP, Vista or Win-7, I'd just limit my Desktop Icons to what I wanted people to see and make the icons LARGE.
    It would be like a menu, so they could run whatever topic they desired. That would be so much easier to set up than some other possibilities.
    With a touch screen, people could just touch the icon for the presentation they wanted to watch, instead of having to use a mouse.

Oh the possibilities! I'm getting inspired! A desktop shortcut (Icon) can be a shortcut to running a batch file or executing a Power Point Presentation as easily as running a program.

Good Luck!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I think The Doctor, with all due respect, overlooks the fact that a changing or moving "screen saver" is eye catching to Earth humans.
    I like the Power Point approach best from the description, if you wanted multiple presentations then select the presentation could be the slide that comes up when the screen is touched, no? Although that seems to be more than the client asked for and so you might want to experiment before offering it to them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    What you are talking about is building a kiosk PC. Windows 7 while not designed for touch screen actually works quite well with them. Even XP functioned fine with a touch screen. Companies have been setting up WinXP based kiosks with touch screens for years. Nothing new here, and no need to reinvent the wheel.

The missing piece that hasn't been discussed is security. Will the machine be attached to the LAN? If not, then most of what I am going to touch on can be ignored. If it is going to have network connectivity it will need to be locked down. You'll need to make sure to use Windows 7 Professional, not the Home version to do this. There are some links here that can point you in the right direction. However, note that Steady State is not supported on Windows 7.

Even if it is not connected to the LAN, you'll want to at least hide the desktop to keep people from thinking its OK to "play" with what ever they can get at. I think you should be able to lock down the desktop enough such that only a single icon will be displayed to run what you want. Also, Google this phrase: "windows 7 touch screen kiosk desktop", and you'll get links to software and other ways that can help make it happen.
    Last edited by Doc Brown; 2012-02-02 at 15:50.
    Chuck